Air compressor

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Any recommendations for a small air compressor which would be used mainly for blowing water out of gear cogs and other nooks and crannies after servicing the bike and before lubing? I already have a "Ring" make compressor for car/bike tyres which works after a fashion but I'd like something with more force.

Jim

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I use a basic diy compressor for blowing water out of the pipes on my static caravan prior to winter.

Similar spec to the one in the link.

It will do what you ask of it, but don't expect lots and lots of pressure, or to be able to run air tools.

They are also designed for lightish intermittent use, rather than working for hours on end.

Mine makes a fair racket, and needs to be placed carefully because it tends to walk about despite being on four grippy feet.

https://www.airsupplies.co.uk/abac-start-o15-direct-drive-oil-less-2hp-6litre-air-compressor

• Informative
Reactions: jdallan

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
An air compressor is one tool that I would hate to be without.

I have a small single cylinder 8 litre compressor in that lives in the van, then a 3hp V twin one of unknown tank size in the workshop.

The 8 litre one cost next to nothing from Lidl's about ten years ago, has had one hell of a life being used as a nail gun compressor, has lived out in all weathers, yet has proven to be 100% reliable. An 8litre tank size or similar, will be fine for your use, although obviously it will cut in and out a lot, which is thankfully something that the larger compressor doesn't do.

I tend to return from a ride, give the bike a quick blast over with air to remove most of mud, wash the bike down, use the airgun again to remove the water, spray the whole bike with duck oil, protecting brakes and suspension sliders/seals, then blast it again to remove the excess. If riding two or three nights a week, this is a very quick and easy option when time doesn't permit a deep clean.

The Lidl's one looks pretty much identical to this one. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clarke-Bandit-Litre-Air-Compressor/dp/B00EPPVAA0

I guess that this one could be a contender. If fails, you could just return it.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/impax-im201-24l-24ltr-compressor-230v/27926?kpid=27926&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product Listing Ads-_-Sales Tracking-_-sales tracking url&gclid=CNn2vtyd8tACFdU_GwodqQ8FaQ

• Informative
Reactions: jdallan

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Many thanks for the recommendations - a lot to think about. I'm quite impressed by the Wolf Little Cub however going by Google I seem to have missed out on a good offer. I'll maybe try the sellers and see if there's a current offer.
Thanks again.
Jim

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
I'm after an air compressor myself, just to dry off the bike like Eddie.

All the ones mentioned are a little on the large size for storage, so I'm wondering if something like this one would cut the mustard, or would it be a bit lame in the air department?

Workzone 1.1kW Portable Oil Free 8 Bar Air Compressor + 8 pc Adaptor + 3m Hose

Looking at the specs, I have no idea if it's good or bad :confused:
Another one to consider, but it's hard to say if it would be powerful enough.
Jim

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
I'm after an air compressor myself, just to dry off the bike like Eddie.

All the ones mentioned are a little on the large size for storage, so I'm wondering if something like this one would cut the mustard, or would it be a bit lame in the air department?

Workzone 1.1kW Portable Oil Free 8 Bar Air Compressor + 8 pc Adaptor + 3m Hose

Looking at the specs, I have no idea if it's good or bad :confused:
Don't think that will do what you want as it doesn't seem to have a tank. The usual method of use for a small compressor is to let tank pressure build to just below cut off then start using it, as pressure drops pause and repeat.

• Informative
Reactions: Fordulike