Alex MD40 rims

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Hi,
Is anyone currently using or had experience (good or bad) with Alex MD40 rims?
A few years ago I had Alex rims on a MTB and found them very disappointing as they kept going out of true
Hoping they may have improved since then as I am looking at a Riese & Muller Charger ebike fitted the MD40 rims
The rest of the bike spec looks good but I have a question mark over the rim choice

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi,
Is anyone currently using or had experience (good or bad) with Alex MD40 rims?
A few years ago I had Alex rims on a MTB and found them very disappointing as they kept going out of true
Hoping they may have improved since then as I am looking at a Riese & Muller Charger ebike fitted the MD40 rims
The rest of the bike spec looks good but I have a question mark over the rim choice
Hi EWheels, I have a few Ex Demo Reise and Müller bikes for sale. Including a Charger MTB and CX all 20% off retail. If you are interested please give me a call.

Re the rims, we have sold quite a few bikes equipped with MD40s and have not heard of any issues.

All the best, David

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Was using a bike with a powerful rear hub motor laced into an Alex rim. The build date of the wheel was circa 2014. Probably put 2k miles on the rim and didn't have any issues whatsoever.

I reckon the MD40 rims fitted to the R&M will be higher spec than the ones I had, so should be very good.

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Thanks David, that is encouraging
Good to see you are offering good deals on the R&M demos
Unfortunately no good for me to take advantage of as I'm on the other side of the globe

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Was using a bike with a powerful rear hub motor laced into an Alex rim. The build date of the wheel was circa 2014. Probably put 2k miles on the rim and didn't have any issues whatsoever.

I reckon the MD40 rims fitted to the R&M will be higher spec than the ones I had, so should be very good.
Fordulike,
Thanks for the feedback
That's 2 from 2
I'm hoping they will be ok
Cant' see a premium brand like R&M using rims that weren't up to the job
Although it is always good to get the response from riders like yourself

D

Deleted member 4366

Most likely your problem was due to the spokes rather than the rim. The spokes pull/hold the rim straight or bent. The rim can't move on its own.

Reactions: Live_Steam_Mad

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Build is just as important as components.

Alex is a decent brand, and you can reasonably expect a wheel built by Riese and Muller to be done properly.

Worth bearing in mind the MD40 is a 650b plus size rim, the 'plus' meaning wide.

This means any tyre less than two inches wide may not sit well on the rim.

The bike is currently supplied - in the UK - with Schwalbe Rock Razor 2.35" semi-knobbly tyres.

Slightly odd choice for a gravel path/adventure style bike.

Depending on your use, in the better weather you might want to change the tyres to something with a shallower tread.

A Schwalbe 2.4" Super MotoX or 2" Big Ben should fit.

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Build is just as important as components.

Alex is a decent brand, and you can reasonably expect a wheel built by Riese and Muller to be done properly.

Worth bearing in mind the MD40 is a 650b plus size rim, the 'plus' meaning wide.

This means any tyre less than two inches wide may not sit well on the rim.

The bike is currently supplied - in the UK - with Schwalbe Rock Razor 2.35" semi-knobbly tyres.

Slightly odd choice for a gravel path/adventure style bike.

Depending on your use, in the better weather you might want to change the tyres to something with a shallower tread.

A Schwalbe 2.4" Super MotoX or 2" Big Ben should fit.
RobF,
Thanks... good advice and suggestions