Alien Aurora - Handle bar stem question

roborobo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 20, 2011
Hi
I'm considering buying an Alien Aurora, does any one know if the handle bar stem is a 'quill' type and whether its removable (also what size 1inch or 1-1/8th)? Also does any one know the battery weight ?
Thanks
Mark

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Yes, it's a 1-1/8 threaded steerer with a quill stem. If you swapped the forks and headset you could have an ahead type. Which I would recommend as the standard forks are so overdamped that they don't seem to absorb anything. I fitted Rockshox Dart 2's to the Cyclamatic which cost me £85 and were very good. A headset would cost you another £25 or so and £20 for a stem. So £130 to get it all well sorted.

roborobo

Feb 20, 2011
Many thanks for the info, (any pohto's of the Aurora with the new forks ? :D )

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
I've not done it to the Aurora... I will, but I'm strongly tempted to rip the bike to bits and fit the whole electronic gubbins to my ole Marin full suspension MTB, which is a better bike than it's used value suggests.

It was originally £1800, and now, 5 years old it worth less than £500, but it still rides like a top MTB, so if I turn it into a 350w electric full suspension MTB I will have something really special.

I have a Topeak MTX rack which should be adaptable to take the controller and battery plate. I would want to keep the hydro discs, so I'd just fit throttle control, which suits me fine as a motorbiker.

Plenty of Aurora vids on my YouTube channel, YouTube - Kanal von TheAegisClaw

roborobo

Feb 20, 2011
Sorry to be a bit boring, but what is the distance from the bottom bracket to the top of the frame seat post ? (21 inches) or even better what is the distance from ground to the bottom of the frame seat post ?

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
I've not done it to the Aurora... I will, but I'm strongly tempted to rip the bike to bits and fit the whole electronic gubbins to my ole Marin full suspension MTB, which is a better bike than it's used value suggests.
I think this should be some sort of FAQ or warning. When you first get involved in E-Bikes the choice and knowledge is overwhelming. It's not till you own and use one for a while that you discover what you actually want and what is possible. If you're ok with a bit of DIY, I think I'd recommend buying the cheapest E-Bike you can as a first toe in the water. Then 6 months to a year later, you can plan the second one and just dispose of the first here or on eGay.

Which is to say, if I was planning on electrifying a full suspension MTB, I don't think I'd use the Aurora components.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
hi Street hawk

Now you are talking that is a real bike not a toy $99 bike

that will be Magic please list photos when you have done

As everybody says put your toe in the water then do it properly

you did not wast your money now you Know whats what and you need to start with a bike costing at least £500 New up to £2,000 to £3000

you can used a super used bike for £500

Frank