Alien Battery problem?

hgbiker

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 13, 2009
Welwyn Garden City
I purchased an Alien Ocean 36V 26" kit in October 2009 and attached to a Haro Heartland DLX comfort bike. Everything has worked fine until recently when I have experienced a complete power failure on a regular short ride. This has now happened twice in roughly the same place suggesting perhaps that the battery is starting to lose its effectiveness. I have not done many miles in total over the past 21 months and have kept the battery charged up as recommended during the winter time. If I wait a few minutes I get the power again but this only lasts for a few yards and then power loss which is accompanied by an erratic flashing of the 5 spot power display. I also get increased whine from the motor before the cut out. It seems a little early for a failed battery in view of the distance I have done since new and the number of charges but I would welcome any thoughts from readers.

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
I purchased an Alien Ocean 36V 26" kit in October 2009 and attached to a Haro Heartland DLX comfort bike. Everything has worked fine until recently when I have experienced a complete power failure on a regular short ride. This has now happened twice in roughly the same place suggesting perhaps that the battery is starting to lose its effectiveness. I have not done many miles in total over the past 21 months and have kept the battery charged up as recommended during the winter time. If I wait a few minutes I get the power again but this only lasts for a few yards and then power loss which is accompanied by an erratic flashing of the 5 spot power display. I also get increased whine from the motor before the cut out. It seems a little early for a failed battery in view of the distance I have done since new and the number of charges but I would welcome any thoughts from readers.
It is possible there's a loose or broken connection inside the battery. Charge it up, put it on a voltmeter and then give it a good shake! There's another thread on here from a few weeks ago about somebody who had a BMS wire come loose. I've had a tab linking two cells break. All on Alien Phylion batteries. These things are often fixable, but please BE CAREFUL.

hgbiker

Oct 13, 2009
Welwyn Garden City
Jbond - Many thanks for the suggestion. The connector is the standard one supplied by Alien with the kit and I have checked this and all wires seem secure so it may well be as you say a loose connection in the battery. I will look into this and many thanks for your help.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

yes the connector is different but the supply the plug to fit on the battery feed to the controller in the Charger box along with a new slide plate for the battery

Frank

bigroy

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2011
Fife Scotland
erratic flashing of the 5 spot power display.QUOTE] This sounds like you have a loose wire or a bad connection. But I would not advise anyone to open a battery if they have never dealt with one before. and it pretty irresponsible for any one else to tell you to do so with out knowing if you are competent at this. Does this battery have an ignition or a rocker switch?

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

I totally agree if you get it wrong you will have a fire on your hands as the battery is nearly 2 years old it is not worth repairing against the cost off a new one with 2 years service life .
It is a sorry state of affairs but most electrical items are throw away when they are out off warranty as the cost off labor is so high and the new model if far more advanced

Battery's are a consumables and it looks like 2 years is about average life span of usable capacity

Frank

hgbiker

Oct 13, 2009
Welwyn Garden City
Guys thanks for your help. I am not proposing to do anything to the battery. I will however need to purchase a new one and wonder if there are any better ones that would fit the Alien rack. Alien replacement batteries are currently out of stock

bigroy

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2011
Fife Scotland
Alien replacement batteries should be back in stock from next week along with there new 350w bikes and kits.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi bigroy

Can you tell members how much the battery will cost and are the available on there own with charger and delivery in the UK if you have a non Alien Bike or kit

Frank

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
erratic flashing of the 5 spot power display.QUOTE] This sounds like you have a loose wire or a bad connection. But I would not advise anyone to open a battery if they have never dealt with one before. and it pretty irresponsible for any one else to tell you to do so with out knowing if you are competent at this. Does this battery have an ignition or a rocker switch?
You are of course right. Hence the big "BE CAREFUL" on the post I think you're referring to. But at the same time this is a web site for enthusiasts, a few of whom put together their own batteries either from RC packs or from loose cells. Be really careful. Take all sensible precautions. And it's then perfectly possible to take apart a battery at home find the loose wire, fix it and then put it back together without hurting anyone. Get it wrong however and it can SERIOUSLY HURT YOU so unless you're comfortable with a soldering iron and have a clue, it's better not to try.

hgbiker

Oct 13, 2009
Welwyn Garden City
Thank you Bigroy and jbond. It will probably be easier for me to get a new battery from Alien if they will shortly be back in stock although purchasing one from BMS in China would be cheaper. I am becoming tempted to maybe invest in a new bike possibly the Aurora or Wisper 905se rather than getting a new battery as it will be in the region of £350 and this money could be put towards that. I will have to have a few test rides to see if a new purpose made bike would feel different to a kit. I am more interested in range rather than speed so I will have a good look into things.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

hgbiker

If you come to Banbury and test ride the commuter finished bike with a 48 volt 15 AH battery you will Be astounded at the bike Quality and range and performance

It is Mid priced at £1895

On the way you can stop at MK and test ride the Ezee demo bike

Cyclezee Ltd - Home

Both off us are not far from you for support

You can bring your battery with you and I will open it and check it for you as if it is fixable you could put your bike on eBay for sale and put the money towards a new Bike
I have a workshop where we Tune and Build our bikes and kits

Frank