Also looking to commute in London - different parameters

Terry1100

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2014
Hi All,

My question is similar to Kyvothe's with slightly different parameters.

My commute is 10 miles each way - mostly flat but with enough hills to do me in as I'm fat and 50 (6 foot and 15 and a bit stone).

• I currently have a Dawes Sonoran but electrifying that doesn't appear to be the solution
  • I believe my ideal bike would be a 36v, 20" wheeled folder - but I'm not wedded to that configuration
  • At work I can put the bike in the postroom so a folder is not essential but I'd prefer one so that I can bring it up to my office (and recharge/top up if necessary). I will never need to carry it on a train so portability when folded/minimum space is not a requirement.
  • I ride in all weathers so I don't want anything fragile - hub gears would seem to be preferable
  • Luggage capacity, lights and proper mudguards are essential.
  • I could go to £2k but research suggests that I can get what I need for half that.
  • I'm not against buying online but I'd prefer a proper shop - within easy reach of me are the Electric Bicycle Company on the North Circ near Brent Cross and Smart eBikes in Borehamwood - any experiences with these retailers.
  • The Freego Folding seems to fit the bill but the Claud Butler Urban Mover UM30 looks nicer (albeit half as much again)
  • I suppose a separate throttle might be nice but not essential - and I think I'm more concerned with "grunt" than speed.
  • I will be maintaining the bike myself
Thoughts, comments, abuse !

TIA

Terry

Reactions: Deleted member 4366

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Thoughts.
Same requirements effectively.
Slightly less weight than me for an inch taller.
Price aware
The Ktm dealer offer should be tempting.
A quality bike will still be worth something after a few years.
All ebikes lose value at a ridiculous rate?
Secondhand?

Comments.
Same as previous any bike will do with 10 amps or more on 36 volt system.
Yes hub gears are good for city cycling
Bigger wheels are faster running and smoother over the road.
Bromton convertion gives folder option with quality.
Try before you buying is always good idea.

Abuse.
Build your own ya lazy twok

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hello Terry, nearly all e bikes have a removable battery so charging is very easy.

Terry1100

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2014
Cheers Guys

D8ve - if I lived in Bristol I'd want serious pedal assistance - sheesh it's hilly (I'm off there tomorrow morning to pick up my son from university). I'll look at the KTMs as I know a dealer in Hampshire. Perhaps I will look a bit harder at converting my Dawes :)

NealH cheers - does removeability vary by brand or are they much of a muchness?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Terry
I'm not far from the uni.
I have a converted Kalhoff with hub gear you could try ?
And a BH city too
Try a pm if you're interested
Dave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Terry 1100... I don't think you would want to ride a 20"wheeled bike on a daily basis,the Kudos Secret is available for test at the London Electric Bike Company so you can ride one to see if it would work for you.
As you don't want a folder I don't see why your requirement is much different to Kyvothe,the same bikes I suggested to him would be equally suitable for yourself.
The battery is easily removed for charging on all the Kudos and KTM bikes.
The Kudos Tourer is very good value at the moment at £765.00,it doesn't have the grunt of the Kudos Rapide but it is almost half the price.
From the LEBC you can ride thru Bushy Park to test the bikes,part of Hampton Court Palace.
KudosDave

Terry1100

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2014
What about a Bicycles 4U Equinox - that looks interesting.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What about a Bicycles 4U Equinox - that looks interesting.
It only has the Nexus three speed hub gear, so no really low gears if you find the hills tough. Also the 6.6 Ah battery is rather small, even for your short commute. The range reduces as the battery ages, so it might prove inadequate after a while, especialy in cold weather which reduces battery efficiency. Aim for the 10Ah that most e-bikes have at least.

Reactions: rsyme

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Cheers Guys
NealH cheers - does removeability vary by brand or are they much of a muchness?
Removability wise they are much a like whether mounted on down tube ,behind seat post or rear rack. There are a few with them built into the frame which are probably best left a lone due to accessability and replacement. Down tube mounted probably best for low and central gravity, rear rack may mounted also popular but may show its down side with handling, look to get biggest battery you can 10 - 15Ah. The larger ones are a bit heavier but have very good range, my woosh 15Ah will do 40 -60 miles with still 20-30% capacity in hand.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I've got 2 ebikes, both of which would do your trip. I've got a Kudos Tourer and a Kudos Typhoon.
The Typhoon is gruntier but for a trip like yours I'd take the Tourer. It has mudguards, lights, a rack and panniers.
The Tourer doesn't have a throttle but if you get tired/lazy, simply turning the pedals makes the motor kick in. At the sale price right now, it's a good buy.

The battery comes off in a few seconds to recharge at home or office.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Terry,

What about an Ansmann FC5 Compact, would that fit the bill?
Ansmann have the best warranty available.
Full specification here http://www.cyclezee.com/ansmann-fc-5-compact.html
We are only 45 minutes from Staples Corner....when the M1 isn't blocked, or 35 minutes from Euston on the west coast mainline.
We also offer free delivery.
fc5-compact-ele_9687D72F_large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the £900 Woosh Zephyr-B has 30 mile range, the size to suit 6fters, the power to pull 15st and is well equipped for fast and comfortable commuting. You won't find a 10AH in-frame battery, a 20A controller, a 52T chain ring and hydraulic brakes on any other folder, certainly not at this price.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2011
Hi All,

My question is similar to Kyvothe's with slightly different parameters.

My commute is 10 miles each way - mostly flat but with enough hills to do me in as I'm fat and 50 (6 foot and 15 and a bit stone).

• I currently have a Dawes Sonoran but electrifying that doesn't appear to be the solution
  • I believe my ideal bike would be a 36v, 20" wheeled folder - but I'm not wedded to that configuration
  • At work I can put the bike in the postroom so a folder is not essential but I'd prefer one so that I can bring it up to my office (and recharge/top up if necessary). I will never need to carry it on a train so portability when folded/minimum space is not a requirement.
  • I ride in all weathers so I don't want anything fragile - hub gears would seem to be preferable
  • Luggage capacity, lights and proper mudguards are essential.
  • I could go to £2k but research suggests that I can get what I need for half that.
  • I'm not against buying online but I'd prefer a proper shop - within easy reach of me are the Electric Bicycle Company on the North Circ near Brent Cross and Smart eBikes in Borehamwood - any experiences with these retailers.
  • The Freego Folding seems to fit the bill but the Claud Butler Urban Mover UM30 looks nicer (albeit half as much again)
  • I suppose a separate throttle might be nice but not essential - and I think I'm more concerned with "grunt" than speed.
  • I will be maintaining the bike myself
Thoughts, comments, abuse !

TIA

Terry
Terry there's only so much you can learn from online research. Visit all of the retailers mentioned in this post (and if you like Dutch, German, American, and Korean things, us too perhaps) and test ride everything. Avoid bosch motors like the plague.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Terry there's only so much you can learn from online research. Visit all of the retailers mentioned in this post (and if you like Dutch, German, American, and Korean things, us too perhaps) and test ride everything. Avoid bosch motors like the plague.
James,I am intrigued your comment 'avoid Bosch motors like the plague',has some recent event put you off Bosch?
Does that mean that you are giving up on Haibike and Raleigh? All the Haibikes on your website are Bosch motored and many of Raleigh are Bosch motored.
Would suggest some major problem to exclude every Bosch motored bike from your selling portfolio?
For me I think the Bosch motor is a well engineered product,maybe over engineered in parts,it certainly produces a very smooth bike to ride but the BPM hub drive offers much of what the Bosch achieves at a considerable lower cost.
KudosDave

sunny_jay_jay

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 21, 2014
Bristol BS1
I live in Bristol so know about hills! I tried the ktm, very nice, but in the end bought kalkhoff pro connect, cheaper, nicer, better spec, great range, and boy does it climb. Cannot recommend highly enough.

MikeRo

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2014
Maldon CM8
Curious marketing methods, what have I missed? Or is it like the Harry Enfield sketch again where he abuses his customers?