Altura luggage

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
I see that when the question of a rack pack or pannier to hold a spare battery and other odds and ends has come up the Altura Arran has been recommended. I'd like to give Santa a little guidance but the few bike shops in the Isle of Man, where I live, don't stock them and the websites give sizes in litres, not as dimensions. Could anyone that has them be kind enough to recommend a size or type suitable to occasionally carry a battery 32cm x 14cm, as well as for general use?

giguana

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2007
I set off to go across France on a bike so my dad bought me some bags from the local bike shop, I got on the boat at Portsmouth, and within about a mile of getting off the boat on the other side, the new bags had already ripped and they cost about 45 quid, they were built like a pair of tights.

so I got some at the decathlon sports supermarket and they were rock solid, super cheap, really well-designed, modular, and had lots of space...

EDIT-I just checked the shop I think they sell a different make online, there are some cycle bags on eBay as well God knows the quality. the main thing is strength and how easy and stable it is to mount, not getting caught in wheels etc.Decathlon - Touring 2X15L - touring bikes.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I use the 16 litre version of that pannier Bob, and that just takes the 38 cm eZee battery held diagonally and secure.

I don't know the exact measurements of the other sizes, but I'd guess the next one down would probably do the job.

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Hi Bikerbob,

I have an Altura Arran 'Transit' rack bag (the one with smaller, optional 'fold-out' mini-panniers/side pockets) and the internal dimensions of the rackbag/box are oddly almost exactly 32cm long by 14cm wide, although the rear of the 'box' part curves in and the width tapers to less than 14cm for the rearmost 7 or 8 cm. The internal box height is 13cm at the minimum (front) and 17cm at the maximum (back). The panniers are smaller capacity, around 25cm vertical height, max 12cm horizontal 'width' (outward from bike side) and about 22cm max length (along bike axis). The diagonal internal distance is ~28cm and they are not square, wider at top the bottom: I think will not accommodate the size you state, by either width or height, but a larger pannier would.

I've never used the box part to carry an Ezee battery, which I think would be to big too fit (I think Ian has the same rackbag, but uses another pannier when he carries his spare battery?): I think a pannier would be the better place to carry the weight anyway, for bike stability, and more secure: although the velcro fittings hold the box fairly securely to the rack for moderate loads, a battery (if it fits the box) would be quite heavy and possibly unstable, the weight risking pulling the whole bag from its velcro attachments (depends on the weight though, but a typical NiMH 36V 9Ah would be a bit heavy). It may be
more secure if you bungee either just the battery or box containing battery, but a pannier would be both more secure & stable solution :).

Hope thats useful Bob,

Stuart.

Last edited:

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
Thank you all. The measurements and advice were very helpful, Stuart, as I was wondering whether the rack pack would be up to the job. So, a strong pannier is the best option and the 16L Altura is plenty big enough. Santa will be hearing from me. I hope he doesn't ask whether I've been good :eek:

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Just in case there's any confusion between several different Altura Arran bags/panniers, the one I have is the Altura Arran 'Transit' rack bag seen here with some of the other similarly named rack bags... whereas I think flecc was referring to the 16 litre version of one of these Altura Arran pannier bags... confused? You will be! - though hopefully santa is fully clued up :rolleyes: :).

Stuart.

Last edited:

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
Thanks again Stuart - I had understood. However, from previous experience I'd say that there is still a fair chance of confusion between my family and Santa!