Another 20" wheeled e-trike

twinkle

E-Triker
May 14, 2013
Peacehaven nr Brighton
Hi Folks .

I might have been quiet of late but another trike has come out of the garage .

Any similarities to anything else is purely coincidental or even incidental .

The past few months have been a mixture of car repairs , a new caravan ( and sorting it out ) , lots of triking holidays ,day rides and some home refurbishment , we still have a lot to do before I can spend more time building as we are trying to do more triking before the weather breaks and Jadis starts to leave her frosty touch on the countryside and the country falls into a dark, sad and cold state.

Specification wise
Its a 20" wheel e-trike with a mesh seat , Under seat steering , huge 203 mm front discs with a 160mm rear , cable actuated with a brake doubler on the front brakes , I think I may have gone a little overboard this time as the trike will sit on its nose UNLESS the tyres don't grip

It is now going through its shakedown testing prior to fitting its tow hitch and mudguards , Hopefully it will stop with a loaded trailer behind .
and become a useful camping /touring e-trike

Fitted with a 24v 26" wheeled q100 motor built into a 20" rim running 37 volts ( a 10ah LifePo4 battery ) with a LCD display showing 5 levels of e-assist and restriction software . The controller is fitted with both a throttle and pedelec sensor , this should make it a little less hungry on battery.

21 speed , 52/42/32 through to a 7speed 11-32 DNP freewheel gives a wide range of gearing from 95" down to 20" enough to cover the hills around here . the 52-11 being high enough to assist the motor while cruising at a higher touring speed with bar end changer .

The rear lamps and cree front lights are fitted to the extensions on the seat to allow me to get the lamps at a sensible distance from the ground .

I would hope it should have a range of 20miles plus with an interesting performance
So far it gives the appearance that it should.

imgur

regards all

emma

twinkle

E-Triker
May 14, 2013
Peacehaven nr Brighton
Hi Folks

Another week has passed and full of little opportunities , making a pair of adapter plates for the rack to accept the new "Harley style rear hard panniers " .
I bolted them together and cut them to shape so I would have an identical pair - shame the rack wasn't identical both sides - A little fettling and all was good . Coupled with another wait for the 25mm spacers to allow it to hang without fouling the rack supports having positioned it just above the rear caliper meant that they were not completely fitted until lunchtime today .
Only things left to fit is the speedo sensor to allow the controller to work out the correct road speed ( same as I did for the blue 20/20 )
and polish the panniers , you can already see your face in them

Next week I need to clear the brambles so I can get to the small workshop at the top of the garden .

screenshot

regards emma

Reactions: jwm

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I see you have old style strap in pedals so you can wear ordinary running shoes, no issues with feet slipping out? Not that I am sure I can still bend down that far to tighten the straps :(

Now that I am finishing Number Two I am thinking about a trike again...

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
I see you have old style strap in pedals
I would strongly suggest clip in pedals, you can buy walking shoes and normal style sneakers now with cleats so you don't walk funny or make loud clacking noises.
Beside the extra power to the pedal by being able to add power all the way around the pedal stroke it prevents a foot being bounced out of the pedal which can cause leg suck ie. breaking your shin bone on the cross bar as your leg gets run over.

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
I agree wholeheartedly with the suggestion of cleats.

I put SPD's on my Hase Lepus because I always thought of the possibility of "dropping" a foot at speed.

The laid back posture makes the leg very heavy when relaxed, and the consequences of it hitting the road and being pulled back underneath don't bear thinking about.... :eek:

I haven't fitted them on my Linear recumbent e-bike though, in case of panic stops and needing to suddenly put a foot down. Having no cleats or clips was the lesser of two evils.

That's the good thing about cleats on a trike. They can be adjusted nice and tight, because you don't have to worry about being able to release them quickly.

lepus side.jpg linear q100.jpg

twinkle

E-Triker
May 14, 2013
Peacehaven nr Brighton
I have a NEW set of spd/combo plain pedals to fit once the trike has finished its shakedown period currently its easier to use toeclips until I am happy with the trike whist I get everything sorted . .

regards emma

twinkle

E-Triker
May 14, 2013
Peacehaven nr Brighton
Hi folks

SPD pedals now fitted and several other modifications done .
Trike has still only done 50 miles since its rebuild and I only have the mesh seat to replace after I have stripped and resprayed the frame .
I had problems going over our local lock gates with the battery catching on the ground this and the chain return has been raised today ( now has 3.25" ground clearance ) and assuming good weather another shakedown ride this week .
One photo at a favourite location of mine on shoreham beach .
and southwick green beach14217.jpg marengo side.jpg

regards emma