Another Battery Question

Tfc

Just Joined
Nov 28, 2020
BL3 Bolton, Greater Manchester
I don't know which way to go with this, my bike is a 2017 crosscity which I've just bought.

I'm getting 22.5 miles out of it max as the led starts flashing, the battery is 313wh - 36v - 8.7ah 2pin battery, I can buy a new one from Halfords for £285 or I can buy a upgraded one for with 10.2ah for about £350 to £360.

What I'm trying to get my head around is it worth spending £350 for a extra 1.5ah or put it another way spend a extra £65 and how much better is the extra 1.5ah,
whichever way I go I'm going to strap 1 of the batteries to the carrier so i can swap them over.

Turkeylegs

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
Darlington
Hi Tfc,
I had the same thought about what to do for the best and decided to go with the cheaper option.
My reason was, I'm carrying the spare if I go far enough anyway, so didn't worry about a few extra miles for the £65.
Your nearly doubling the mileage which is a nice day out, so my advice would be to get the same sized battery again.
Unless of course your going a lot further. In that case go for the biggest you can afford.
But in my case 30 to 40 miles is more than enough, and it's great having the other battery to swap on the return journey.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
You won't get any extra performance out of the bigger battery, apart from travelling a few miles further.

The benefit from the bigger battery, is the fact that each battery cell will experience less stress, so potentially the battery may deteriorate more slowly.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You won't get any extra performance out of the bigger battery, apart from travelling a few miles further.

The benefit from the bigger battery, is the fact that each battery cell will experience less stress, so potentially the battery may deteriorate more slowly.
Voltage sag should be less on a big battery. If you are drawing a given current over more parallel banks of cells there will be less current from each bank, and less voltage sag. That could be quite significant when that battery charge is getting fairly low.

• Agree
Reactions: Fordulike

Advertisers