Another Bike for 2019

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
My son's 13 and about 5ft.8in already. He jumped on my Haibike Allmtn xduro 2016/17 in medium the other day and loved it. I was going to sell it and buy another bike come 2019, but think i'll keep it as i invested a lot of money in it, still love it and it appears my son loves it even more. Be nice for him to join me on rides / bike packing.

Anyway, haven't posted for a while and i'm now out of date on whats out there. I like the look of the Haibike xduro 8 with tq motor from ebikeshop at £6k. I've dongled my Bosch motor and would only buy an ebike that i can use a dongle on (not sure about TQ motor yet).

Anyone seen what they think is a great bike around the 6k mark for 2019, please let me know. Advise welcome.

Thanks

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi
14 is the legal age for a pedelec so he would have to wait
But maybe you don’t mind as your using a dongle anyway
Just thought it was worth a mention

As for a 6k budget you have a massive choice

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Wisper have a new expensive range emtb's coming out but using Shimano E6000 drive.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Definitely worth hanging onto old bike, for your son. My teenage son has started using my commuter for transport to his activities resulting in lot less taxi trips for his parents.

If this ends up being case, you may want to invest in spare set of wheels setup with commuter tyres.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
And here is me thinking I am the only one daft enough to shell out 6K on a bicycle.... Glad to know I am not allone....
Yes i know, a lot of money but i've spent more in the past Colnago c59 with campy super reg eps was 10k, stupid!. My current bike is worth a fraction of what i paid for it, but if my son has it for a good few years and we get lots of pleasure will be worth it.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Definitely worth hanging onto old bike, for your son. My teenage son has started using my commuter for transport to his activities resulting in lot less taxi trips for his parents.

If this ends up being case, you may want to invest in spare set of wheels setup with commuter tyres.
Agree, Hate the idea of selling for a fraction of what i bought it for and well looked after. Might be a good oppertunity to do a bit more father / son stuff as he's glued to his xbox.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Hi
14 is the legal age for a pedelec so he would have to wait
But maybe you don’t mind as your using a dongle anyway
Just thought it was worth a mention

As for a 6k budget you have a massive choice
Yes i know thanks for reminder. Most riding is now on a private estate i have permission to ride around.

Reactions: Fat Rat

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Agree, Hate the idea of selling for a fraction of what i bought it for and well looked after. Might be a good oppertunity to do a bit more father / son stuff as he's glued to his xbox.
done a fair bit of father son stuff but from the other end. My ebikes have allowed me (69) to do some hard hilly rides with my son (44) both on and off road. Normally a road pairup wouldnt work, but he loves hills so it works really well.

Reactions: EddiePJ and Steve A

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well there are no dongle options yet for the tq motors and some models wont even be out until the middle of next year so really a 2020 bike so reliability is yet unproven.

it all comes down to waight and components but you have to spend top end money to get them and if like me i want half of it changed anyway lol.

they really need to make frame batt kits available for those of us that can build up a bike but no options yet.

i have also spent a fortune upgrading my bike and tbh the only new thing is integrated batts with huge down tubes that i just dont like the look of and makes the frames even more heavy.

now if they made a fs bike with double the range of what i have now and about 16kg for the hole bike then id start looking but not going to happen for a few years yet.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/holy.32646/page-4

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Nealh, the wisper looks pricey for what you get components wise hmmm
Hi Steve, if you are interested in the Wisper eMTBs we have a few left and would be very happy to do you a special Black Friday deal, a deal that I would extend to anyone here on the Forum.

They are really good bikes full UD carbon, even the rear triangle.

For more info please contact me directly. david@wisperbikes.com

All the best, David

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
well there are no dongle options yet for the tq motors and some models wont even be out until the middle of next year so really a 2020 bike so reliability is yet unproven.

it all comes down to waight and components but you have to spend top end money to get them and if like me i want half of it changed anyway lol.

they really need to make frame batt kits available for those of us that can build up a bike but no options yet.

i have also spent a fortune upgrading my bike and tbh the only new thing is integrated batts with huge down tubes that i just dont like the look of and makes the frames even more heavy.

now if they made a fs bike with double the range of what i have now and about 16kg for the hole bike then id start looking but not going to happen for a few years yet.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/holy.32646/page-4
Hi Soundwave, Haven't spoken for ages. Agree, i'm in a similar situation to you, think my bikes the same, maybe year later. Really happy with it, but son's set his heart on it now as i've already mentioned. Best to keep it in family. The only difference with a new bike seems to be a larger integrated battery and wider hubs.
The tq motor looks interesting though.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Hi Steve, if you are interested in the Wisper eMTBs we have a few left and would be very happy to do you a special Black Friday deal, a deal that I would extend to anyone here on the Forum.

They are really good bikes full UD carbon, even the rear triangle.

For more info please contact me directly. david@wisperbikes.com

All the best, David
Hi David,

Thanks for offer, nice bikes but i'm not sure they are what i'm looking for. Thanks again.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Hi Soundwave, Haven't spoken for ages. Agree, i'm in a similar situation to you, think my bikes the same, maybe year later. Really happy with it, but son's set his heart on it now as i've already mentioned. Best to keep it in family. The only difference with a new bike seems to be a larger integrated battery and wider hubs.
The tq motor looks interesting though.
well you also now get the boost wheel options and some frames can be changed to take both 27.5 and 29inc wheels on the rear but not really interested in those.

maybe look on ebay 2nd hand if your going to change everything anyway as you still have motor warranty as long if its under 2 years old.

i saved 2k buying mine 2nd hand ;)

Reactions: Steve A

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
just seems every year you get less and less for ur money component wise yet the price still goes up.

skip to 4.19 ive got those pmsl and 12spd eagle lol ;)

Related Articles

Advertisers