Another new Bosch unit derestrictor

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Eddie has passed on this link to a new gadget for simply derestricting the Bosch units, leaving them free to power above 15 mph:

Bosch unit speed derestrictor

On the personal front he's enjoying life and still deciding on his next e-bike choice for 2014, but it will have a Bosch unit powering it.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Glad to hear Eddie's enjoying life :). It would be quite a shock if he wasn't going to have a Bosch unit powering his 2014 e-bike !

It does make me chuckle a bit that you need a separate battery to power your derestrictor. Went to so much trouble to get rid of separate batteries on lights, have chargers etc. off the bike battery but in the end completely worth all the effort to be centrally supplied and free of secondary charging / battery considerations. So I guess if your battery runs out on your derestrictor you're "limping home legal" ? :eek:

C

Cyclezee

On the personal front he's enjoying life and still deciding on his next e-bike choice for 2014, but it will have a Bosch unit powering it.
Ah Eddie, I can just about remember him, tell him Mr Kit, AKA pondlife etc., says Hi.

D

Deleted member 4366

The Speedict Mars is the cheapest ready-made one. 89 Euros is cheaper than some of the others, but it's still 200 times the price of what it should be. I see that it has a battery compartment, and it's totally independent. It must work by sensing the magnet and then making it's own pulse direct to the Bosch sensor. Probably a PIC chip with a set of rules that makes a different pulse rate after 25km/h. I like the simplicity, but this one can do more or less the same for a total outlay of about £2 including the batteries:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/15610-bosch-dongle-20-pence.html

I also stumbled accross this today, where a guy is trying to slow down a pulse signal to his Cycle Analyst to get the correct speed reading. It's more or less the same as the 20 pence one. About 1/3 of te way down:
Endless-sphere.com • View topic - INFINEON CONTROLLERS FOR DUMMIES

Richy

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2013
Watford
I desperately need to get rid of this 15mph thing, I did 23 miles the other day and barely used the assistance.

swordfish

Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2013
To be honest, couldn't see what the problem was with the 15mph thing until I actually got one.
I've noticed that I always seem to be riding in the 15-20mph range when I look at the speedo. Maybe that's because it's easy to get up to 15mph due to the assistance and then I can keep it just above, which may mean if it was set at 20mph limit I'd be doing 20-25??
Have to admit I'd like the limit taken off, but with a 2grand bike I'm not willing to ruin the warranty
:(

D

Deleted member 4366

T
Have to admit I'd like the limit taken off, but with a 2grand bike I'm not willing to ruin the warranty
:(
The Badass one above doesn't involve any dismantling of the motor, neither does it leave any record that it's been used. All it does is release the speed limit, so it doesn't put any extra stress on anything. You don't get any extra power. I can't see how it would affect any warranty.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I've ordered one so we shall see what we shall see.

swordfish

Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2013
I've ordered one so we shall see what we shall see.
Great. I didn't want to be the guinea pig ;)
Hope it's good, I'll be putting an order in if it is. Taking the crank apart for the other kit isn't something I'm willing to do. I'm useless with mechanics.
(Bit worrying as I'm a train driver!)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
...update on my order...

Cutting a short story short, my original dongle with the separate battery pack arrived from Badass, but did not work.

They promised me one of the new versions within weeks.

When weeks turned into months and the website went down, I feared the worst

Lui from Badass has always kept in touch and he emailed me a couple of days ago to say my new dongle would be sent 'within a week'.

Despite the failure of the first dongle, I'm impressed with Badass.

They supplied it on invoice, effectively on trust, which I repaid by paying promptly.

The replacement was offered swiftly at no extra charge, so if all this works out I should have the latest dongle for about £90 including bank transfer fees.

Richy

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2013
Watford
...update on my order...

Cutting a short story short, my original dongle with the separate battery pack arrived from Badass, but did not work.

They promised me one of the new versions within weeks.

When weeks turned into months and the website went down, I feared the worst

Lui from Badass has always kept in touch and he emailed me a couple of days ago to say my new dongle would be sent 'within a week'.

Despite the failure of the first dongle, I'm impressed with Badass.

They supplied it on invoice, effectively on trust, which I repaid by paying promptly.

The replacement was offered swiftly at no extra charge, so if all this works out I should have the latest dongle for about £90 including bank transfer fees.
Top of the page it says they accept paypal, would that be cheaper than a bank?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Top of the page it says they accept paypal, would that be cheaper than a bank?
No such option available when I ordered the original dongle seven weeks ago.

I get the impression Badass is a young business which, like its products, is in development.

The payment options on the latest website are probably cheaper, although I don't do enough buying online to know.

Advertisers