Another super bright head light

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Just ordered one, so I'll let you know what it's like when it's here. I'm not expecting much for the money, but I thought I'd give it a go before maybe trying the LED100 that d8veh has posted about previously.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Unless you are using it off road make sure that you use a torch in front of your body also.

A lot of these head mounted versions leave the cyclist completely invisible.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
this thing looks massive and at 7.5cm it's about 50% bigger than the led100. If you cycle around 20mph it would have the potential to slow you down lol.

hopefully it's cheap

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
I like the oversized look of this thing, but without much of a reflector, god only knows what the beam is going to be like. Only £4.99, so how bad can it be?

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
I wanted to give a long overdue update on this light.

I absolutely love it and for the money, I don't think you can beat it. It's effin' bright, but I bought it to use as a daytime running light, so that's not an issue, but anyone looking to use one as a main night light needs a serious rethink.

I liked it so much in fact that I bought another and mounted them side-by-side:

IMG_3990.JPG
IMG_3987.JPG

One added benefit that I never expected, is that nobody travelling in the opposite direction tries to play chicken with me anymore once the road narrows. I can only put it down to the fact that it must be easy to mistake the twin lights for those of a motorbike. Nobody pulls out in front of me anymore out of junctions either.

All in all, I totally recommend these to anybody looking for a cheap and bright light.

Last edited:
Reactions: jonathan75

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
One added benefit that I never expected, is that nobody travelling in the opposite direction tries to play chicken with me anymore once the road narrows. I can only put it down to the fact that it must be easy to mistake the twin lights for those of a motorbike. Nobody pulls out in front of me anymore out of junctions either.
What about the one on the back? They are the most dangerous in my opinion

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Reactions: cwah

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
How did you get 12v for it?
As Jonathan said, it's got an integrated DC-DC buck converter. I did run it originally on 12S lipo, but now I'm powering it from the same 12v buck converter as the rear light above - not the most efficient setup, but it simplified my wiring somewhat. I'm also using the 12v converter to power a motorcycle horn and a further 5v converter to power USB devices.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I absolutely love it and for the money, I don't think you can beat it. It's effin' bright, but I bought it to use as a daytime running light, so that's not an issue, but anyone looking to use one as a main night light needs a serious rethink.
So what do you do during night time? You don't go out?

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
So what do you do during night time? You don't go out?
Correct. I haven't needed to commute for around 18 months, so I just use my bike for daytime errands and leisurely rides nowadays. I might need the odd local evening trip once winter is here, but they will be few and far between. The rear light will be fine in the dark without the brake light engaged, but the fronts will need a rethink.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
What's wrong with these light at night? They look bright enough... are they blinding other drivers?

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
What's wrong with these light at night? They look bright enough... are they blinding other drivers?
Their beams are quite focused, which is great for throwing down a long road as far as a cyclist is concerned, but for an oncomming driver would be blinding in the dark. I haven't shown you a head-on photo, since all you'd see is lens flare. Temporarilaly aiming them downwards might solve this problem, but is a faff I don't want and excessive near-field illumination is always counter-productive.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Ive been thinking about the excessive brightness of this twin light setup and have managed to come up with a solution. Using a CC/CV buck converter to limit the current supplied to the lights works a treat and gives an infinite level of brightness adjustment.

As a side note, I discovered that these lights shine brightest when fed approximately 12.6v. The difference in brightness on a higher voltage is only just noticeable, but is aparent nonetheless.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
My B+M Ixon IQ arrived today. I can't wait for tomorrow night so that I can go out and try it, in broad daylight it is already awe inspiring. My previous front light was safe in that drivers had no problem seeing me last week and were dipping their lights, but I couldn't see enough detail on the road to swoop back home down hill at my usual 45-50 kph... :eek:

I have a better led (B+M) on the rack now too, even though my "made in China" led was doing its job OK, it was on the seat post and I was afraid that my rain cape might hide it from view.