Another white bike Wooshed!

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
Last year I electrifried my old Saracen bike with a Woosh XF08-CST kit. It was a great success, but the bike had always been a bit big for me and with a dodgy knee it was becoming a problem. In the autumn I transferred the kit over to a new white Forme Stag mountain bike and that has been really good.

A few weeks ago I bought the same XF08 kit for my wife's Liv Rove.

Fitting the kit was easy -

The disc rotor lined up with only minor adjustment needed and no extra washers, so the wheel is fairly easy to remove/restore of necessary. It shouldn't be necessary though as the wheel now sports a Marathon puncture-proof tyre and as a further precaution, a slime-filled inner tube.

The left-hand pedal sensor is really neat - shame that I had to change the bottom bracket to allow it to fit. Woosh warn that the "plastic cups" type of bottom bracket isn't compatible with the sensor : it turns out that the problem is the diameter of the axle - too big for the sensor.

Sorting out the brake sensors took the most time. I spent ages testing the brake levers with tiny magnets stuck on with blutack before embedding them in Sugru for the finished job.
A multi-meter comes in very handy for this. I got access to the brake connections by pushing soft test-lead cable onto the connector pins and then crocodile clipped to the meter.

At the moment the spare cable is stuffed into a length of inner tube - not at all pretty, but it will do until I find a neater way of doing it.

When the installation was nearly complete I took the bike on a short test ride - everything worked first time : perfect!
Came home and finished tying down the cables and then left the bike for a couple of hours for my wife to come home. We got all ready for her to try the bike, went to turn it on and NOTHING! Display completely dead. Swapped batteries - still no joy. Not knowing the pinout of the cables there was nothing I could test, but then had the idea of changing the display for the one from my bike - and it worked.
By this time it is 4:30 on a Friday afternoon. Rang Woosh and explained the problem and Andy there said he would try to get a new display in the post that evening. Saturday morning and the display arrived at 9:00 am (much earlier than the postman normally arrives). Fitted it and all is well.

The bike has done about 50 miles now and the conversion has been declared a great success. From a woman who is hard to please that is praise indeed.

Many thanks to Andy at Woosh for his outstanding after-sales support.

(I'm very glad that I didn't scrimp it and get an ebay kit!)

pP1020368.jpgpP1020361.jpgpP1020358.jpgpP1020363.jpg

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
Update -

She's done nearly 80 miles now and still 3 out of 4 battery lights come on.
Could have got the smaller battery and saved £100!

Reactions: marc4242 and Pluton