Wisper Answered

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Theoretically you can be charged with driving a motor vehicle without tax, driving a motor vehicle without insurance, driving a motor vehicle without MOT (if more than three years old). If you have a driving licence that could add up to quite a few points on it. If you haven't you could additionally be charged for driving a motor vehicle without a valid license.

There are remarkably few cases of any of this happening.

Penalties for uninsured drivers:
The police could give you a fixed penalty of £300 and 6 penalty points if you’re caught driving a vehicle you’re not insured to drive.

If the case goes to court you could get:

The police also have the power to seize, and in some cases, destroy the vehicle that’s being driven uninsured.

Penalties
There are a number of circumstances under which you may be charged with driving without a licence. Firstly, if you have not passed a driving test but have been caught behind the wheel, you may be given:

• Between three and six penalty points for when you do have a licence
  • A maximum fine of £1,000
  • A possible ban, enforceable when you do pass your test

Reactions: Leafa

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
All seemingly good replies, pointing out that basically, that it is not worth the risk, as even if the Police do not have a strong presence where you live, in the event of a traffic accident, they can, and normally will be called.......
As ever in this world, the final choice rests with the person(s) concerned.
Have a great Sunday to all Pedelecers.
Andy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Theoretically you can be charged with driving a motor vehicle without tax, driving a motor vehicle without insurance, driving a motor vehicle without MOT (if more than three years old). If you have a driving licence that could add up to quite a few points on it. If you haven't you could additionally be charged for driving a motor vehicle without a valid license.

There are remarkably few cases of any of this happening.

Penalties for uninsured drivers:
The police could give you a fixed penalty of £300 and 6 penalty points if you’re caught driving a vehicle you’re not insured to drive.

If the case goes to court you could get:

The police also have the power to seize, and in some cases, destroy the vehicle that’s being driven uninsured.

Penalties
There are a number of circumstances under which you may be charged with driving without a licence. Firstly, if you have not passed a driving test but have been caught behind the wheel, you may be given:

• Between three and six penalty points for when you do have a licence
  • A maximum fine of £1,000
  • A possible ban, enforceable when you do pass your test
Theorectically yes, but you won't …...
The Dalston guy failed all these when the women ran out and died when he hit her,
he wasn't prosecuted for any of the above misdemeanour's.

• Agree
Reactions: Leafa and sjpt

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Theorectically yes, but you won't …...
The Dalston guy failed all these when the women ran out and died when he hit her,
he wasn't prosecuted for any of the above misdemeanour's.
True, but will anyone here actually "Bank on that" for his own defense in a similar situation?
Speaking for myself only, I would not!
Also he was "dead" lucky that his original (and only) charge (Manslaughter I believe) was unproven, which set him free. A better CPS prosecution member, would have nailed him to the wall on many charges, in this case they did a bad job for the British legal system!
The other well known trial, where a woman (only!!) got injured, I seem to remember that the cyclist lost his house as he had not got proper representation, and had to pay the woman damages, and also had to pay ALL the court costs!!!
At least in that case nobody died!
I think that some people here are taking these cases far too lightly.....they are BOTH exceedingly serious, and should be taken as a very valid warning.
regards to all
Andy

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The other well known trial, where a woman (only!!) got injured, I seem to remember that the cyclist lost his house as he had not got proper representation, and had to pay the woman damages, and also had to pay ALL the court costs!!!
At least in that case nobody died!
I think that some people here are taking these cases far too lightly.....they are BOTH exceedingly serious, and should be taken as a very valid warning.
regards to all
Andy
This is twice you have wrongly peddled this fake news.
The initial press coverage was sensational but the follow up wasn't, it almost went totally under the radar.
He did get advice and countersued both were found 50% liable so, the ladies prosecution/legal fees were I believe about 100k and believe she got about 5k pay out. A Giving page was set up for the cyclist and again this helped him out of a hole.
I'm not going to try and find/cut and paste the info as it can be found, the outcome and details appeared on the Cylceuk forum.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
This is twice you have wrongly peddled this fake news.
The initial press coverage was sensational but the follow up wasn't, it almost went totally under the radar.
He did get advice and countersued both were found 50% liable so, the ladies prosecution/legal fees were I believe about 100k and believe she got about 5k pay out. A Giving page was set up for the cyclist and again this helped him out of a hole.
That is actually worse than I remember, having to have charity to get him out of the financial hole he landed in. Have I got that right now?
But its hardly a recommendation still for anyone riding an illegal bike is it?
This is as Iremember the case:-
Cyclist who knocked over woman on phone must pay up to £100,000
My comments follow this and other newspaprer articles almost exactly!

Cyclist who crashed into 'phone zombie' yoga teacher when she stepped into road looking at her mobile is left with £60,000 legal bill despite judge ruling they were BOTH to blame

All these are valid links, still viewable online. I saw nothing about what you mentioned, so it is apparently only known by a few, so could you post some links as well?
Andy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Fund raising page to help him.

The woman received just a little over £4000.

The final outcome left Robert nearly 3k out of pocket.

Last edited:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Fund raising page to help him.

The woman received just a little over £4000.

The final outcome left Robert nearly 3k out of pocket.
A whole lot better than it looked to be before!
One might say, he got off lightly from the original sum, with help from others....
He could have bought some very fancy e-bikes with that money......
Thanks for the update.
Andy

Advertisers