Anti-mugging lock?

SteveB1262

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
I first had the idea for something like this when I was a teenager so many years ago. I am now 70 years of age and yes bikes were being stolen directly off the rider even back then. My idea is based on the Dutch type Horseshoe lock but would be operated by panic push button and opened only with a key, the key being secreted on your person or, indeed not even carried if riding close to home and someone can bring you a the key. I know they aren't defeatable but would any mugger really want to hang around or carry a heavy ebike? I would have thought by now some big manufacturers would have produced something on that line. It has to be quickly operated and no key visible. At a pinch you could use the AXA type horseshoe lock and then fling the key but that takes time. It needs to be very quick if not instantaneous. Does anyone know of such a device or am I going to have to make one? I can more than likely modify the AXA Horseshoe.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I first had the idea for something like this when I was a teenager so many years ago. I am now 70 years of age and yes bikes were being stolen directly off the rider even back then. My idea is based on the Dutch type Horseshoe lock but would be operated by panic push button and opened only with a key, the key being secreted on your person or, indeed not even carried if riding close to home and someone can bring you a the key. I know they aren't defeatable but would any mugger really want to hang around or carry a heavy ebike? I would have thought by now some big manufacturers would have produced something on that line. It has to be quickly operated and no key visible. At a pinch you could use the AXA type horseshoe lock and then fling the key but that takes time. It needs to be very quick if not instantaneous. Does anyone know of such a device or am I going to have to make one? I can more than likely modify the AXA Horseshoe.
I admire the thinking, but such a device needs IMHO, a remote control, just like most modern cars do today forlocking and unlocking.
What I fitted to my e-bike when it was new, was a rear light that fits under the saddle, is locked in position, and also contains an alarm that goes off if the bike is touched. Its quite loud and has a remote control.
Its also not that obvious either!
Recharging via a USB cable, and runs, if not using the light function, for 2 to 3 weeks.
Remote is good for 30 odd meters outside of any buildings, though I have not made any exact tests, and as it should be on when you leave the bike, that short range should not be a problem.
I carry a quality chain as well when shopping, and I use it!!
If you get hijacked,then you need to grab the remote in your pocket and activate the alarm without the thief seeing you do that!!
It costs less than 15 UK Pounds generally on ebay.
And will not damage any spokes either!!!
I hope this in some way helps you!
Regards
Andy

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
What kind of country do you live in?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
get a pet dog :)
1551733860962.png

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
WOW How long does that take to brush in molting season? Bet it'd clog up the Dyson !

How about a proximity device, so the lock only opens when the wearer is nearby? Could be fun if it fails though:oops:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have been thinking for a few days about areas where an anti-mugging lock would be useful during my rides. Couldn't find any, so I will just spend the money saved drinking Rioja in a seedy bar in a wilder part of the Basque Country...

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Thumbs up for those Alarm/lights, I have one and like Andy-Mat I too have fitted it under the saddle. They make a hell of a racket when disturbed and I particularly like the way they give a short blast as a warning shot if your bike gets nudged by accident, followed by a longer noise if some one tries to mess with your machine.
Bright light too, great device.

SteveB1262

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
I have been thinking for a few days about areas where an anti-mugging lock would be useful during my rides. Couldn't find any, so I will just spend the money saved drinking Rioja in a seedy bar in a wilder part of the Basque Country...
You obviously have a totally crime free country......where is that? Cycle mugging is a common event. Ten bikes in one week alone in one area of Manchester UK. The UK government have converted a lot of disused railway lines into dedicated cycleways but because of the fact many are out of the way places it is quite common for gangs to use these to steal your bikes and give you a beating if you object. I thought this was a sensible forum but it seems, like many other forums, it is attracting sarcastic individuals and trolls trying to get a raise out of genuine posts. Are these peoples lives so sad they have to spend time on a cycling forum for amusement. Get a life FFS!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Basque Country as stated above. Here we have pro and semi-pro riders out training on bikes that have a 5 figure (>10,000€) price tag. Often alone.

I was being serious not sarcastic - I had never heard of such a thing. Moped mugging yes.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
SteveB, I share your feelings, I’m many miles from Manchester but there’s no way I would trust my personal safety or that of a bike in that area. Almost daily press reports come in containing references to stabbings in such areas.

Jim

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
SteveB, I share your feelings, I’m many miles from Manchester but there’s no way I would trust my personal safety or that of a bike in that area. Almost daily press reports come in containing references to stabbings in such areas.

Jim
you can get bullet proof normal clothing if you dont mind 5k for a tshirt :p
https://miguelcaballero.com/en/new-home/