Any electric shower experts out there?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I've got a Bristan electric shower with a digital LED temperature readout on the front panel. Unfortunately, some of the display segments have failed, which means it's difficult to read the correct temperature properly.

I need to know if the LED display has its own circuitry to drive the segments, or if the LEDs are driven from the main circuit board. I'm thinking that maybe all I need to do is replace the front panel, rather than the whole shower unit. What do the forum peeps think?

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Your question is has the display failed or the display control

Does the shower have good spares availability if so what parts are available as this gives you an indication of popular problems

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
That class of product is probably not repairable.... The water seals alone to protect the user from 7 to 13kw will be destroyed if opened... Just bite the bullet.,set the temperature at what is suitable and live with it..., And eventually replace it.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
That class of product is probably not repairable.... The water seals alone to protect the user from 7 to 13kw will be destroyed if opened... Just bite the bullet.,set the temperature at what is suitable and live with it..., And eventually replace it.
The front display panel comes away from the main body with zero disturbance to any seals. I can buy a new display panel for 35 quid, but I'm just after info on whether the display is driven from the main PCB or independently within the panel.

I'm happy to buy a whole new shower unit, but it would be a shame if the current problem could simply be fixed by replacing the panel and I buy a whole unit.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
A typical problem with consumer products is how much to repair,and whether it is cost effective... I have been there a number of times with dishwashers and washing machines.
Taking your product. How much is a replacement,? how long have you had it?. What are the parts which are likely to fail in the near future?. The pump?, The heating element?the boiler, which might be flurring up? The temperature sensor? The pressure sensor?.. all of these will be inside the sealed section.
I don't want answers .. it's a check list for you.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
A typical problem with consumer products is how much to repair,and whether it is cost effective... I have been there a number of times with dishwashers and washing machines.
Taking your product. How much is a replacement,? how long have you had it?. What are the parts which are likely to fail in the near future?. The pump?, The heating element?the boiler, which might be flurring up? The temperature sensor? The pressure sensor?.. all of these will be inside the sealed section.
I don't want answers .. it's a check list for you.
I've had a fair bit of experience with the Bristan shower units. Generally reliable, but had to replace a heating cannister, pressure regulator and outlet pipe myself on previous models. Always cheap to repair and the internal design hasn't changed too much over the years.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Hee hee, I know that my post sounds like I'm being a bit of a Steptoe, but I'm really only trying to apply the logical solution.

Yes, I could replace the whole unit, but admittedly it's a bit of a faff on, as Danidl quite rightly mentions, the push fit seals can be problem when installing.
Yes, I could buy a new panel to see if it works, but it may damage the new panel if the fault is on the main circuit board.

I was hoping that one of the forum peeps is, or was, an electrician and has come across this issue before.

Advertisers