Any links for cheap but reliable 48v battery over 12ah

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
I've bought a voilamart 48v 1000w front conversion kit but I need a battery something reliable and cheap max £200 or £250

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
What you have bought is a direct drive motor, they are notoriously power hungry and inefficient. Care is needed with battery choice.
Look at the maximum current rating marked on the controller. Your battery needs to be able to deliver at least this amount, if not a little more.
So, you may find a 15Ah (Amp/hours) battery, this is it's capacity only. What you need to look for is the maximum current it can deliver - rated in Amps. So a cheap battery may be rated at 12A. This will perform very poorly and not have a very long life as the maximum current rating of your controller is in the region of 20A.
Any battery you choose should be capable of delivering 22-25A, with quality named brand cells, to be of any use and longevity. This will not be cheap.
There is an old saying, 'Buy cheap, but twice'. It's particularly pertinant in this case.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Reactions: sjpt

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
What you have bought is a direct drive motor, they are notoriously power hungry and inefficient. Care is needed with battery choice.
Look at the maximum current rating marked on the controller. Your battery needs to be able to deliver at least this amount, if not a little more.
So, you may find a 15Ah (Amp/hours) battery, this is it's capacity only. What you need to look for is the maximum current it can deliver - rated in Amps. So a cheap battery may be rated at 12A. This will perform very poorly and not have a very long life as the maximum current rating of your controller is in the region of 20A.
Any battery you choose should be capable of delivering 22-25A, with quality named brand cells, to be of any use and longevity. This will not be cheap.
There is an old saying, 'Buy cheap, but twice'. It's particularly pertinant in this case.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Thanks so much I'm grateful for you advising me so I should look for a 48v 20a battery

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
This has already been discussed on Abzy's other thread her controller is 26a rated she won't get a cheap battery to run safely at that possible current usage, buy cheap and expect your arse to be on fire if you don't end up burning the house down.
In this case capacity ah/wh isn't important what is is a battery with a BMS rated to handle 26a + continuously.
Any battery's continuous current output must at least be able to handle the controllers max current draw in this case it is 26a.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
This bike has a 1000 D/D hub and it is a possibility that the battery can't meet the controllers max current out put, the cells you can here are venting and hissing/shorting not good.

You just can't use any old battery the voltage may be right the ah /capacity matters not but the current output is critical to prevent fires.

The guy in this vid is a fool standing there with all those dangerous chemicals burning away, he didn't even move the bike away from the house to safe distance down the bottom of the garden.
E Bike with a Burning Battery || ViralHog - Bing video

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
D

Deleted member 33385

This bike has a 1000 D/D hub and it is a possibility that the battery can't meet the controllers max current out put, the cells you can here are venting and hissing/shorting not good.

You just can't use any old battery the voltage may be right the ah /capacity matters not but the current output is critical to prevent fires.

The guy in this vid is a fool standing there with all those dangerous chemicals burning away, he didn't even move the bike away from the house to safe distance down the bottom of the garden.
E Bike with a Burning Battery || ViralHog - Bing video

I think he might actually be inflaming the situation with water - I remember my chemistry teacher dropping a very small amount of pure lithium into a beaker of water - it reacted violently. Keep CO2 handy... which reminds me, must order a CO2 extinguisher...

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
This has already been discussed on Abzy's other thread her controller is 26a rated she won't get a cheap battery to run safely at that possible current usage, buy cheap and expect your arse to be on fire if you don't end up burning the house down.
In this case capacity ah/wh isn't important what is is a battery with a BMS rated to handle 26a + continuously.
Any battery's continuous current output must at least be able to handle the controllers max current draw in this case it is 26a.
Can you please give me a link to the battery I need to buy please

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Other thread, I replied to it.
It's a mistake to have two threads on the same thing running so I stick to the original post as much as possible.

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
Please check the other post
Other thread, I replied to it.
It's a mistake to have two threads on the same thing running so I stick to the original post as much as possible.
Please check the other post