Any Questions?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Pedelecers all, welcome to the Wisper and Riese and Muller clinic.

I try to get on to the Pedelecs site on a daily basis so would normally be able to answer questions within 24 hours. If I don't know the answer to your questions I will find it and get back to you but this may take a little longer so please be patient.

It would help if any new questions are posted on a new thread.

I would welcome any help from all the Pedelec Gurus out there.......... so feel free to add to any threads that you feel knowledgeable about.

Best regards
David Miall

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Hi Pedelecers all and welcome to our clinic.

I'll try to get on to the Pedelecs site on a daily basis so would normally be able to answer questions within 24 hours. If I don't know the answer to your questions I will find it and get back to you but this may take a little longer so please be patient.

I would welcome any help from all the Pedelec Gurus out there.......... so feel free to add to any threads that you feel knowledgeable about.

Best regards David Miall

Wisper Electric Vehicle Co Ltd
01322 313650

://www.WisperBikes.co.uk"]wisperbikes[/URL]
Hi David

I would like a full SE user manual as only have the E manual which is helpful but not appropriate for the SE.
I have seen so many theries on the buttons used that are confusing I would like to see it in an easy to read format.
Is one available?
Whilst I know I purchased my bike in Germany there must be an easy guide somewhere as to what the combination of button pressing produces?
Many Thanks
mandy ;)

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Hi Pedelecers all and welcome to our clinic.

I'll try to get on to the Pedelecs site on a daily basis so would normally be able to answer questions within 24 hours. If I don't know the answer to your questions I will find it and get back to you but this may take a little longer so please be patient.

Best regards David Miall

Wisper Electric Vehicle Co Ltd
01322 313650
wisperbikes
Help Needed Please

I have recently been riding my SE to work and am happy with it but not altogether.
My problem is that when I am riding along the handlebars do not feel at one with the front of the bike, ie. wheel. They appear to move slightly from side to side in non pedal mode and more so when I pedal :eek: This feels very disconserting and I do not feel safe.
The nut is tight and in line with the front wheel but when I hold the front wheel still with my legs and pull on the handlebars there appears to be a little play when I pull the handle bars from side to side, but just a little. You may say that I am not holding the wheel in a static position and whilst this may be the case it does not explain the movement on the handle bars on riding and this is what I feel on the bike when travelling down a busy road in the rush hour, just doesn't feel as one as causes some wobble in the handle bars which leads to instability when cars are rushing past me!!! Yikes!!

I experienced this at first in a less obvious way but just put it down to the rear hub motor as opposed to the front hub motor on my Powabyke and just not getting used to it properly yet? Due to weight ratio etc.
I now don't feel this is the case and need some advice pretty please :confused: It just doesn't feel right?
Could it be the bearings or something?

Also off that subject and onto another one, when I went down to the work bike shed tonight I found a long, approx 2 inch (approx 54mm) brand new wood screw coarse thread (probably a self tapping screw?) with an approx 2mm diameter under the front end of my bike? Now okay, this almost certainly does not belong to my bike but I need some assurance that this type of screw is not used? There was no other bikes or cars in an anywhere near to close proximity to my bike at any time and just seems to be a little odd? I looked in the dark and cannot find if I have a screw loose (out) or not? LOL! I seem to remember a clinking like something had dropped off the bike on a bumpyish road on the weekend and stopped and looked but found nothing. Could have been a nut? I also have an outside light and when I got home I looked and still couldn't find anything obviously missing? I don't think the screw belongs but I brought it home anyway, lol.

I am now getting a lift into work tomorrow as I know there is something wrong with the handle bars and hope someone can assist me?

I am going to copy paste this into another thread as am not sure I will receive the prompt response I require? As I haven't on my previous post.
The problem may be a basic one that someone on the forum can assist me with?

Sorry to burden this on you guys.

Kindest Regards

Mandy

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Hello Mandy

It could be a loose headset. Here's a link to further information:

Servicing Bicycle Headset (Steering) Bearings

Paul
Thanks Paul

and thank you for your speedy reply. I have added this to my favourites and will have a go at sorting it at the weekend.
You know when you feel it just doesn't feel right? Intuition?
Not like I am not used to electric bikes.
Thank You again.
Kind Regards
Mandy :)

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Hi Mandy, I do appologise for not being here to help.

Have your qusetions been answered?

Best regards David
No worries David

I think I posted a sticky throttle problem on a wrong thread and should have placed it here as didn't get a reply. My throttle got a little bang as the bike toppled against a wall and I had to twist it off on my journey rather than it happening automatically so was a little worrying.
All sorted now though so not to worry.

So are you guys at Wisper going down the new legislation route and providing only on road rather than off road bikes at the max speed of 15MPH?

I only used my trusty powabyke for work but now find myself out and about on the weekends even in February!!
I love the bike and get so many comments and I know the UK version looks the same, superb!
Why don't you guys provide an optional sticker, come banner with your bikes so that it could be attached to the frame. It would have to be tasteful though with your webby details and tasteful enough as an advertisment that people may be willing to attach this to the bike.

I come across people staring at my bike when I come out of shops etc and then when I approach they look uncomfortable but I put them at ease and chat about the benefits etc and they are really interested as never heard of an electric bike!! How can they not? A couple of people noted down the Wisper logo on the frame as I told them you had a webby.

Advertising is the key and whilst it is expensive I feel that is the way to go. How are people going to know that electric bikes exist without it?

I just stumbled across electric bikes 3 years ago and the Powabyke is sort of well advertised compared to others so bought one 3 years ago.

I have visited a few cycle shops in order to purchase seat post, computer etc for my new SE and asked why they don't stock electric bikes? There stock answer was "Well there isn't a demand for the Powabyke" I then took them out to see the SE and they didn't know it existed? lol! In one cycle shop all of the staff were outside and no one in the shop! I was only asking for advice on the seat post, lol! They were intrigued!!

Just think you need to put the benefits out there more and provide the bikes to regular cycle shops.

Well just a thought?

Regards

mandy

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Hi Mandy, I do appologise for not being here to help.

Have your qusetions been answered?

Best regards David

Sorry David

Yes I am sorted and love the bike and didn't answer that one before my most recent post.

Regards

mandy

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Sticky Throttle

Hi Mandy, just checking that the throttle is sorted out now?

Further to your comments regarding marketing. Of course you are absolutely right and we will start our marketing campaign as soon as we have stock in the UK.

We are very late in having stock an the shelves because until we had all the little niggles sorted out we really did not want to launch the bike onto the market. The Guys in Germany felt it was OK to go earlier than we did.

However we are now as satisfied that we have a bike that can sell in high quantities without having to worry about quality issues, the UK bike will be in the shops in April or early May although The Electric Transport Shop will some earlier than the General release.

We will be having an open day at Sammy Millers Motorbike Museum in New Milton (New Forest) in May for the press and anyone else who wants to have a go. We will confirm the date as soon as the bikes are on the water.

Thanks again for the constructive posts.

If you ever need to contact me urgently with a question please use miall@aol.com

Best regards David

Last edited:

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Hi Mandy, just checking that the throttle is sorted out now?

Further to your comments regarding marketing. Of course you are absolutely right and we will start our marketing campaign as soon as we have stock in the UK.

We are very late in having stock an the shelves because until we had all the little niggles sorted out we really did not want to launch the bike onto the market. The Guys in Germany felt it was OK to go earlier than we did.

However we are now as satisfied that we have a bike that can sell in high quantities without having to worry about quality issues, the UK bike will be in the shops in April or early May although The Electric Transport Shop will some earlier than the General release.

We will be having an open day at Sammy Millers Motorbike Museum in New Milton (New Forest) in May for the press and anyone else who wants to have a go. We will confirm the date as soon as the bikes are on the water.

Thanks again for the constructive posts.

If you ever need to contact me urgently with a question please use miall@aol.com

Best regards David
Hi David

Yes the throttle is now all sorted which is a relief and thank you for asking.
Oooh I hope there isn't too many niggles that I should be concerned about with my German model? :eek:

There was one last year in the New Forest wasn't there? I was going to come along but cpuldn't make it, I will try and come along this year :)

I just think a lot of people do not know that electric bikes exist?
I know advertising costs a lot though, but hopefully in the future people will become aware and buy more of them! :D

Thanks for your help and if I have any urgent concerns I will drop you an email.

Many Thanks

Mandy

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Niggles

Hi Mandy

The German bike is fine especially at that price!!

The New Forest event was not a busy as we had hoped for so this year we are treating it more like an open day, if other manufacturers want to come they would be very welcome, I thoroughly enjoyed last year and met lots of people from the Pedelecs site even the famous Flecc! I do hope you can make it.

Have you heard anything about Presteign this year?

The problem with the expense of properly marketing e-bikes is that all marketing activities will have to be paid for by you the customer in the price of the bike, and we are already experiencing pressure to keep prices down. This is at a time when because of the Chinese engineers wanting to be paid a fair wage and the high cost of new battery technology prices are going up very quickly.

So......... we can sell more bikes if we spend more on marketing, but if we put the price of the bikes up we sell less bikes, Catch 22! :eek:

Best regards David

Mr unsure

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 19, 2008
905e cutouts

Can someone at wisper please explain why my 905e has cutout 3 times in 2 days, on a bike that is 4weeks old, ?????????????.

Also see thread 905e battery Help

Bob

michael

Just Joined
Apr 3, 2008
whisper 905e not working

Hi David

I purchased a 905e of ebay (a1chalky) having got the bike home i have not rode it more than 100mtr when everything just went dead. I have charged the battery for 12 hours but it is still not showing any power on the meter The only time i can get the meter to light up is if i put it on charge with the key switched on it the shows as a flat battery. The bike was brand new in January 08 so i find it hard to accept there can be much wrong here can you help please? i am very disappointed as it was bought for me to be enable me to get out and about as i cannot walk more than 50mtrs as i have Multiple Sclerosis. I have tried ringing the phone numbers on your website but they are just dead and any emails i send are returned as undelivered i just hope that this is not going to be my first and last experience with an electric bike
Hope you or anyone else can help

Michael

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Hi David

I purchased a 905e of ebay (a1chalky) having got the bike home i have not rode it more than 100mtr when everything just went dead. I have charged the battery for 12 hours but it is still not showing any power on the meter The only time i can get the meter to light up is if i put it on charge with the key switched on it the shows as a flat battery. The bike was brand new in January 08 so i find it hard to accept there can be much wrong here can you help please? i am very disappointed as it was bought for me to be enable me to get out and about as i cannot walk more than 50mtrs as i have Multiple Sclerosis. I have tried ringing the phone numbers on your website but they are just dead and any emails i send are returned as undelivered i just hope that this is not going to be my first and last experience with an electric bike

Michael
Hi Michaael
I am so sorry you are having problems with your 905e :( . I have a 905se bought on ebay from Germany and love it.
It may be the contacts or the fuse blown? You say you rode it for 100 metres no problem?
If there is a serious problem and you used Paypal then you can raise the problem with them?
I am hoping it is something simple like I have suggested so fingers crossed for you Michael so you can start to enjoy your bike.
David is very helful and will almost certainly guide you in the right direction.
Keep us posted
Kindest Regards
Mandy

S

stokepa31

Hi Mandy

The German bike is fine especially at that price!!

The problem with the expense of properly marketing e-bikes is that all marketing activities will have to be paid for by you the customer in the price of the bike, and we are already experiencing pressure to keep prices down. This is at a time when because of the Chinese engineers wanting to be paid a fair wage and the high cost of new battery technology prices are going up very quickly.

So......... we can sell more bikes if we spend more on marketing, but if we put the price of the bikes up we sell less bikes, Catch 22! :eek:

Best regards David
I agree with you David over rising costs in China and that of new batteries but how do you intend to grow the business beyond an organic level. I don't want to tell you how to suck eggs and i'm sure you are enjoying good growth in sales anyway, but if ebikes are to become more than a niche product, someone needs to bite the bullet and put a national marketing plan into effect backed by higher volumes of bikes being available. We live in a society which is inherently lazy (present company excluded:D ) and is facing a crisis in terms of obesity & lack of exercise. This coupled with awareness of climate change and the ever increasing cost of fuel mean that the time is perfect for pushing your product.

Most people on here will give you plenty of anacdotal evidence of the infectiousness and popularity of an ebike and i'm sure you have evidence that confirms this. prices are steep (industry wide) for a quality bike but the payback when compared to car running costs is very quick. I do feel government could help more by maybe reducing import taxes on goods that are beneficial to health and kind on the environment and perhaps increase the upper limit on the cycle to work scheme (is anyone lobbying government on these issues?) but thats a whole new kettle of kippers.

I would be interested to hear your views (and other companies) on where you feel the marketplace is and what the future holds. I have made some sweeping assumptions above but I do believe there is a mass market waiting to be tapped by the right company. You make good specification bikes, seem to provide good customer satisfaction based on what we read in here and also seem to have have a bike of wide appeal aesthetically. I think you could make a pot of cash as well as improve the health of the nation and save the planet if you take the risk of expansion.

Kind regards
Paul

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Problems with your bike

Hi David

I purchased a 905e of ebay (a1chalky) having got the bike home i have not rode it more than 100mtr when everything just went dead. I have charged the battery for 12 hours but it is still not showing any power on the meter. I have tried ringing the phone numbers on your website but they are just dead and any emails i send are returned as undelivered i just hope that this is not going to be my first and last experience with an electric bike

Michael
Hi Micheal, I was disappointed to read that you are having problems with your 905e. Obviously there is a problem with your bike which is more than likely going to be simple to fix. Where do you buy the bike from?

I am sorry that you are having problems with contact numbers but apart from the New House Farm number (we have moved and the website won't be updated until next week) they are all working.

Try calling Doug or Phil at the New Milton Shop I am sure they will sort out your problems for you. They are normally there all weekend.

Douglas Gosling
Director
Wisper Bikes
Bashley Cross Road
New Milton
Hampshire
BH25 5SZ
01425 627 641
expomission@yahoo.co.uk

David Miall
Director
Wisper Bikes
75 Oakhill Road
Sevenoaks
Kent
TN13 1NU
01732 452004
david@wisperbike.com
miall@aol.com (home)

Any problems please let me know.

Best regard David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I do feel government could help more by maybe reducing import taxes on goods that are beneficial to health and kind on the environment and perhaps increase the upper limit on the cycle to work scheme (is anyone lobbying government on these issues?) but thats a whole new kettle of kippers.
Hi Paul

Thanks for your interesting comments regarding Government. We in the e-bike industry are very lucky by comparison to the push bike market. We pay 6% although I believe that is to rise or has just risen to 7% duty.

If you want a Chinese non electric push bike you have to pay the 7% plus an extra 49% dumping tax plus 17.5% VAT (all compounding). Hence if you buy a decent Chinese push bike out of china for say £200.00 a further £175.00 has to be paid to the chancellor! Consider further that if the retailer sold the bike for £750.00, up to £300.00 income tax would have been paid by the purchaser and a further £90.00 employers contribution would be paid by the purchasers employer. Not a bad scam £565.00 (roughly) in tax on a bike that cost £200 out of China! That's without considering rates paid on the retail outlet, VAT on all the services to the outlet and if the retailer actually had the audacity to make a profit! :eek: A far as I can make out, the Government is simply not interested. :eek:

Best regards David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I would be interested to hear your views (and other companies) on where you feel the marketplace is and what the future holds. I have made some sweeping assumptions above but I do believe there is a mass market waiting to be tapped by the right company. You make good specification bikes, seem to provide good customer satisfaction based on what we read in here and also seem to have have a bike of wide appeal aesthetically. I think you could make a pot of cash as well as improve the health of the nation and save the planet if you take the risk of expansion.
Hi again Paul,

I absolutely agree with you, according to Extra Energy Germany, 200,000 e bikes were sold in Europe last year, where as in access of 20,000,000 pedal cycles were sold in the same period. We absolutely believe that within the next few years the number of electric bikes will exceed 10% of all bike sales and the European market alone will be worth in access of 2 billion €.

As you are no doubt aware, there are many models of electric bike on the market ranging from the cheap Chinese models for local Chinese use that can be bought for about $200.00, through to the Japanese Panasonic made from Titanium and Polycarbonate that*retails for more than*$7000.00.* It goes without saying that this wide price range is the same*for most products from cars to washing up liquid.

It is our opinion that a good quality mid range e-bike if marketed properly and backed by;
A strong easily recognised corporate image, supported by global and local marketing
A solid and dependable warranty
Constantly available after sales service
Good technical support through local service centers

will become a very strong contender in what is likely to become a hard fort but profitable market.

It is very rare to find an opportunity*such as*this, a new market that is not dominated by one of the multinationals, we do believe however that*the big players*will be coming to the market soon.* That is why*it is most important to build a strong brand as early as possible and create a multinational partnership to promote and drive that brand.

Rather than simply setting up global dealers and distributors we are in the process of setting up "The Wisper Partnership", if you would like full details please drop me a line.

The Wisper Partnership concept is not only about buying power and marketing, but also the pooling of ideas and market intelligence from colleagues all over the world. By the sharing ideas and local knowledge Wisper Partners will jointly have the*intellectual power, research and development capabilities of any of the larger companies who eventually come to the market, but will also have the ability to move very quickly.

As an example: Our New Zealand partner Anthony Clyde has just presented drawings of a superb and innovative kit that converts a standard push bike into an e bike. Anthony a keen mountain bikes and electronics engineer has been working on this project for some time as he feels that kits currently available are too cumbersome and difficult to fit. Through the Wisper Fund we have now started tool design and will have the Wisper conversion kit on the market for early 2009. It will marketed through the Wisper Partnership a royalty will be paid to Anthony in NZ for each unit sold.

To sum up Paul, I fervently believe in the market, but it has been very tough and expensive to get even this far. Our bikes are now being produced in quantity and are being shipped all over the world. According to our cash flow forecasts we will have the "where with all" to launch a strong marketing and advertising campaign for the 2009 season, but as my accountant says, "there are lies, damn lies, statistics and cash flow forecasts!" We will see. :D

Best regards David

Last edited:

ElephantsGerald

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2008
Herefordshire, HR2
I've struggled to find information about your current models, and I know others have too:
For some odd reason, I simply can't find any information on the 905e vs the 905se on the Wisper website- only on this forum!
It seems to me theres a lot of interest in your bikes, but trying to find out anything about them is a frustrating business.

Is there any reason why your web site only gives info on the old models?

Having emailed doug@wisperbike.com I was sent a specification/price list/catalogue which contained all the info I was looking for.

Why don't you make this document downloadable from your web site, or post it here in the forum?

Regards,

ElephantsGerald

Last edited:

Advertisers