Any suggestions for which USB devices are good for discharging an ebike battery for upkeep purposes?

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
Hi all,

For various reasons I often go for very long periods without using my ebike, but I know the battery still requires a bit of a charge every few weeks to keep it healthy, and every now and then, a good 'balance-charge'.

But - these often take it right up to full, especially if I leave it on & forget (and in the balance-charge case, definitely takes it to full). And I know bike batteries shouldn't be left on full.

Does anyone have any suggestions for high-drain USB devices which can be plugged into the battery's USB-out socket, in order to get the voltage back down for storage purposes?

I'm playing around with old tablets, mobiles (with 'battery drain' apps), USB mobile 18650-battery-based power banks, and even a DAB radio alarm clock with USB-in. Does anyone have a cleverer solution for when the bike itself can't be used to drain the battery?

Thanks - J

D

Deleted member 4366

The USB socket can't give a high discharge. if you overload it, it'll start smoking.

• Informative
Reactions: jonathan75

Advertisers