Wisper Any thing I need to know?

MattJ

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 19, 2020
Hello,

I have just ordered my first ebike (wisper 905) in the hope this will help me actually leave the village I live in as I have recently lost my driving licence due to a medical problem.

I am beyond excited and cant wait for it to arrive.

Would you be as kind as to tell me any thing I need to know. Any pointers, tips, advice or warnings?

Also any recommendations for panniers so I can do some shopping ?

Thanks

Matt

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
A "medical condition", hints it might be prudent to consider if you need to get a mirror of some sort. Mine is helmet mounted as bar mounted would screw up storing and transporting the bike in my specific case.
A home made clone of THIS

For panniers I have a pair of rear fitting Ortlieb BACK ROLLER CLASSICS in a visual warning yellow. Very voluminous, used in degrees of tightness to swallow cargo and flexible enough to accommodate most cargo shapes, plus over shoulder straps to portage them into shopping areas. Very dear, but it gets you something of real quality, easily clipped on and off, and functionally well sorted, IMO.

Add to that a good lock, helmet and highly visible jacket.

Last edited:

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Welcome Matt. Wisper, nice bikes and company has good customer service rep on here.
Where panniers are concerned, I have some that hook over the top rail of the carrier with an elasticated bottom hook, so you just lift and unhook at the shops. They are Axiom, not the cheapest but are roll top and waterproof and have served me for about 5 years now.
I'd say wait 'till you get the bike and see the rack, also wisper themselves may give you a steer.
For the bike, use it as soon as you can after charging the battery. Don't leave it with a fully charged battery as this damages the longevity of the cells. Obviously practical considerations reign here, so if needed in the morning a charge the night before isn't going to harm, but don't leave it for days.
If storing the bike (say over winter) charge it then ride it for about 10 miles to 'knock the edge off', then store the battery somewhere cool, keep an eye on it, don't let the voltage drop too far (say below 34v). At some point you're going to need a volt meter so you may as well get one now.
Apart from that charge it, use it, enjoy it and try to moderate the silly grin on your face else everyone will be at it :D

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hello,

I have just ordered my first ebike (wisper 905) in the hope this will help me actually leave the village I live in as I have recently lost my driving licence due to a medical problem.

I am beyond excited and cant wait for it to arrive.

Would you be as kind as to tell me any thing I need to know. Any pointers, tips, advice or warnings?

Also any recommendations for panniers so I can do some shopping ?

Thanks

Matt
Congratulations Matt, big time. You will not regret it.
The advice with mirrors and a helmet mirror, is important for any cyclist, but some do not like them, too much wind resistance one said to me!
I accept that, and use them, there are some faster bikers than I and they give no warning when overtaking!
If you want to do some good shopping, panniers are a good start for lots of things, plus there are top panniers, that mount on the rack, between the normal ones.....Do not mount too near the saddle, as it may prove uncomfortable....
Also a small bike trailer, if the roads/paths are OK for one, then you can pick up a whole lot more shopping in one go, if ever needed.
I still buy too much, forgetting I am on my bike sometimes....
I also have a dog trailer, not needed after my last Weimaraner died, who had contracted a form of cancer in her front paws, not malignant, just painful for long distance running. Hence the trailer.....
Do get some good solid bike locks, one I have is for a motorbike, you need at least two (front wheel to frame and a stanchion, rear wheel to frame).
Also a sensitive alarm, I like the ones that look like a rear light, and have a remote fob, they fit under the saddle. Very cheap.
Some like two alarms, and the idea is not stupid!
I also added a motorbike front disk lock, just a cheapie in a bright colour, just to draw attention, as getting all that off without the alarm being sounded, has apparently proven impossible up to now, is all I can say!
Security is very important.
Also, learn how to look after your battery correctly (we here can assist), as if it collapses and dies, they cost a bundle to replace.....
Get insurance.
regards
Andy

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol
Wispers have a custom pannier rack to hold the battery.
Ortlieb panniers fit perfectly
Also, there is a slot on the side of the rack which I keep a D-Lock in, slides in nice and secure.
The standard lights are pretty good, but I added a high powered rechargeable one just in case

Old Fart At Play

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2020
Hiya...
Check that you have the tools you need to attach the pedals and straighten/tighten the handlebars, unless you are picking it up from shop or getting it delivered fully assembled. Very easy jobs as long as you have the tools. You may just need allen keys, but some bikes need a pedal spanner.

The previous posts offer excellent advice. I'd just add one thing, if you haven't been cycling for a while. Don't be tempted to ride too close to the side of the road, especially in traffic. I'd suggest you aim for around 1 meter out.

I can imagine your excitement!

Cheers, John

MattJ

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 19, 2020
Thanks for all the info. I'm working through it. Really appreciate it.

Matt