Anybody converted one of these?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What is your budget ?

D

Deleted member 4366

For that price, you should eaily be able to find a ike with disc brakes. You can fit mudguards and lights yo any bike for about £30, so that's not really an issue.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
For that price, you should eaily be able to find a ike with disc brakes. You can fit mudguards and lights yo any bike for about £30, so that's not really an issue.
Really? It would be good to have at least a front disc, from the start, rather than retro fitting one. Some of the Giants look nice, just unsure whether the front hub will fit the dropouts.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
D

Deleted member 4366

Discs and chainrings don't cost much. You can find used ones on Ebay for not a lot, then sell the ones you take off.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
So had a look at the Vulcan, nice bike, however being a mountain bike it has no lugs for rack or mudguards.
But they did have a Carrera crossfire 3, a 2011 model on offer for £275. Being a hybrid this does have all the mounting lugs I need, as well as lockout suntour forks. The front chainring is 48t, wheels are 700c, so looking good. Only fly in the ointment is the 160mm disc. The Ezee kit comes with a 180mm disc, and I cant see an easy way of moving the caliper. So I need to find out if I can get away with using the 160mm, if so it's on.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes-and-classic-bikes/carrera-crossfire-3-hybrid-bike

D

Deleted member 4366

You just need a caliper adapter that costs about a fiver.

D

Deleted member 4366

That's the one, but it would probably be better to wait untl you've got the bike to check what's on it already. Whatever is on it, you need 10mm more.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
There are two types of adapter the one you linked to is a IS to post adapter, the other type is a post to post adapter where the calliper bolts directly to the rear unlike the IS one where it bolts to the side. Make sure you order the 180mm.

D

Deleted member 4366

The photo of the Crossfire shows side mount (IS) to post mount. When you get your bike, check that it's the same.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
That's right, the caliper was mounted on the side of the fork, not the rear, so it's IS. So it's possible. Thanks chaps, another thing learned.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Just reserved the bike, got it for £255, hope to pick it up on Monday. First time I've bought from Halfords, yet to see if the local store can live up to the web site efficiency.
Thanks for the help.
Ben

D

Deleted member 4366

I think they're OK for normal bikes, but I'm not sure that I'd let them near my electric one.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
You and me both d8veh. I shall be doing the conversion myself, the staff in there seem to be just happening to work in the bike department, rather than actually giving a damn.
Anyway it turns out that the only ones available are display models, which they won't sell. So it looks like the search goes on.