Anyone done a Software Update on Agattu C11 Impulse

covehithe

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2009
Suffolk
I've just updated the software on my C11 thanks to the Matt at 50Cycles. I can honestly say that I have not noticed any difference in performance. It would appear that the update improved the bikes hill climbing ability. The nearest I have to hills where I live are "Speed Bumps". I would be interested to know if anyone has updated the software and noticed a change in performance.

Peter

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I'll be able to say soon - should be receiving the device tomorrow. No change to the ramp-up assist gradient then ?

covehithe

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2009
Suffolk
It was a bit fiddly getting at motor terminal but once the box was connected it was quick to complete update.
In the box you will find the Kalkoff error diagnostic manual. On the last page it describes updating by removing back of the LED display and using a SDHC card for the update - it would seem a better way than posting the device to individual customers - see what you think to this method.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I have upgraded many Impulse motor bikes. If you upgrade the software and set the 'Biking Profile' to 'Sport' you should notice the difference. If you leave the Biking Profile at the default 'Tour' the difference is harder to spot. This will of course impact on your range.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Got the service unit today. Unfortunately wasn't able to get to it till this evening. But after a quick flick through the instructions and manual it was dead easy. I'd spotted that bag under the motor cover when it was upside down a few times so knew where it was. I think there's a large bolt in there that the wires just need pulling round and they come out easy enough. Then you just unplug the LCD and plug in the device instead with the battery fitted.

Remove bag, unplug LCD, plug in device, perform update per instructions provided, plug LCD back in new zip-tie on bag and push wires back where they came from. Job done.

On the last page it describes updating by removing back of the LED display and using a SDHC card for the update - it would seem a better way than posting the device to individual customers - see what you think to this method.
I read that - not sure how far it goes as far as being able to select 'mode' for the bike as per Jonah's point if software is updated this way :confused: ... I figured I'd just do it using the device and instructions rather than have the back off the LCD. Wanted to take for a test in what was left of the daylight as I'm pretty busy tomorrow.

I have upgraded many Impulse motor bikes. If you upgrade the software and set the 'Biking Profile' to 'Sport' you should notice the difference. If you leave the Biking Profile at the default 'Tour' the difference is harder to spot. This will of course impact on your range.
Thanks for pointing that out, Jonah - I wouldn't have realized these were parameters for the bike "mode" that are effectively dealer-set rather than something which can be flicked between via the LCD after an update. So it's Impulse ... but in three different forms now. Got confused between these 'modes' and the Eco / Sport / Power modes that you choose from on the LCD having first configured the bike to one of the 3 available via the service unit. Can't help thinking it might be better for them to have SD cards customers could use via the LCD and keep so they could change their bike 'modes' whenever they wanted to but hey ho.

I set mine to 'Sport' - and judging from the results, that'll do nicely for me :D I didn't notice it being much different on a very steep hill. I think the motor was delivering the maximum torque it's capable of already before the update.

However, on the flat and moderate uphills the difference is really noticeable to me. WAY more responsive on first setting off - the slightly sluggish ramp-up to initial power delivery, which was the weak spot of the old system, is gone. Kicks in and stays delivering much more consistently than before - but without being so 'keen' that you can't cycle normally. I've also been able to make use of higher gears on shortish but significant uphill test run than previously - so something's changed there. It's good because my uphill speed's increased a bit.

It still feels more natural than the Sahel I tested as I have such control of the gears, but now just as perky even on a big bike. So I'm very happy with that. Was the Sahel Nuvinci Harmony at Eden also configured to 'Sport' ?

Granted, might lose a bit of range but not so worried about that with 540Ah. It's enough for me and having been constrained and conditioned to working with 8-10 miles round trip for so long on account of non-battery issues perhaps I'm likely to be more accepting of a compromise than others ! I can always set a lower assist mode or turn the assist off if I'm really worried.

Anyway, I missed the post today due to being unavoidably waylaid this afternoon but will get the unit straight off back to Matt tomorrow so the next person can get their bike updated ASAP.

A great step forward all in all. :cool:

EDIT : - oh, forgot to mention you get some interesting info thrown up by the unit about your battery and motor run. Mine read 8 charge cycles and 130 hours of run time. So that's battery use of about 0.8% in 6 months. Also averages about 68 miles per charge.

Last edited:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Thought I'd update this - incredibly nice day and took the bike out for a proper hill test. About 4 miles of 17-20% gradients in there and the rest mainly relatively undemanding hills of 10-16%.

Straight verdict is that yes, the hill climbing functionality is vastly improved by the 'Sports' mode update. I've had to adjust my use of gearing a bit .. it's better using higher gears than before, but once you make these changes to riding you really notice it.

The prolonged 17-20% hills were taken at 9-10mph, 10-16 % at up to 16mph which is pretty good considering I didn't have to stop and rest which is the real acid test. Previously I was getting whacked out trying to keep the bike going at 6-8mph on the 17-20% jobs and completely dissuaded from going up there at all in the end.

Really pleased now. Used 2 lights out of 5 from a full charge. Probably a little under half the battery capacity on power mode all the way (so about 220Wh at a guess). Total mileage about 14, about 4 of which were getting to the start of the slopes and back on average terrain. Perhaps the sunshine helped a bit. But the bike did its stuff. I'd prefer a 20Ah battery on this bike or even higher... 15Ah as still too light on the Wh capacity on a 36V bike for prolonged hilly fun if you've anything like a ride out there and back to factor in.

Last edited:

covehithe

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2009
Suffolk
I've just come back from 15 mile run and found a hill!!.
There was a definite improvement in hill climb but not as much on flat. I followed Jonah's advice and put it in 'Sport' mode - thanks for that tip

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I've just come back from 15 mile run and found a hill!!.
There was a definite improvement in hill climb but not as much on flat. I followed Jonah's advice and put it in 'Sport' mode - thanks for that tip
Hi. Hope you don't mind me asking - whereabouts did you manage to change the bike Profile ?

There are the 3 settings you can toggle between during the ride (eco / sport / power) but the bike profile was set during the upgrade on mine (this being something different from the standard 3 assist setting choices) and obviously the device has gone back now - is it possible to change this bike mode setting (e.g. if I had an unusually long trip to do) via the LCD ? Would be useful to know how it's done :)

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Used 2 lights out of 5 from a full charge. Probably a little under half the battery capacity on power mode all the way (so about 220Wh at a guess). Total mileage about 14, about 4 of which were getting to the start of the slopes and back on average terrain. Perhaps the sunshine helped a bit. But the bike did its stuff. I'd prefer a 20Ah battery on this bike or even higher... 15Ah as still too light on the Wh capacity on a 36V bike for prolonged hilly fun if you've anything like a ride out there and back to factor in.
Alex,

I have found that using the "Sport" biking profile significantly increases battery consumption especially in power mode. For example, on mixed rides containing many hills, I find that using power mode can restrict range to only 25 miles. Using eco and sport modes, roughly half and half, will double that range. This is using the 15ah battery.

When the bike profile is set to "tour" I get the same mileages using my 11ah batteries.

If you didn't know, there is now a 17ah battery supplied with some Agattus.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Interesting - thanks Jonah. Was watching the assistance bar and at times deliberately riding the bike to draw assistance of at least half the available bars - it sure helped me get home feeling like I'd done some worthwhile light exercise but without doing more than I wanted to. This greatly increased my range .. from zero (I'll just not bother going) to a few miles (feeling this is actually what I bought an eBike for - and the ride is great) lol. I'll test the bike Eco/Sport modes when I can bear it but the Power mode in Sport Profile is only just now the sort of assist I like to feel - especially to make use of higher gears when climbing. It feels like a proper eBike and a joy to ride rather than a compromise.

I'll try out the Sport mode and see how that affects the range - or whether I want to climb hills in that assist level. But in truth I've no desire to drop the power on the hills 'proper' - it's only just now on Power mode in Sport profile that I've even been willing to go back up them at all.

What I've also discovered is that twice my current battery is about the appropriate amount to allow riding the way I'd like to ride the bike for fun - i.e. full-on round the hills. That would get me to other beauty spots (a bit further - maybe 10-12 miles away - and with a fiendish 3 mile climb with a 27.5% max slope stood in the way there) in a reasonable time, have a good ride whilst I'm there round the hills using full assist and get home without having to make a whole half day of it or winding up exhausted. I'm not an avid long distance cyclist - for leisure I just want the Kalkhoff to enjoy a change of scene and ride at decent speeds in nice surroundings. Had high hopes at the beginning of getting further afield regularly - but the low power delivery and power sagging on long climbs and assist limits dissuaded that, and now high power consumption draw on hills to get the assistance I'd want severely dents that instead. So one way or another I am back to my 10-12 mile radius with one of the highest capacity retail eBikes available... I can just go to the nicer bits within it now ! Anyway that'll hopefully keep me happy for another 6 months or so before I get bored senseless again.

On the battery - I did some calcs and don't think the 18.5Ah is enough to bother upgrading for next 6 months and a 2nd battery is just too much money for fun use rather than longer term (2 year) savings of not running a car. I'm likely to be away now a fair bit in the next few months using the Trek instead and would rather save money towards running a car - as it's far more useful to me than a 2nd battery ! Not least to drive a bike to where you want to go riding.

Irony is the full power mode and amended Sport profile coming round has actually inspired me to ride longer distances on hills. I'd have bought an extra battery if the sport profile had been available 6 months ago ... but am feeling it's too late to be worth it now. Will likely just make do with short trips using proper power delivery for the rest of the Summer.

Sorry it's off topic a bit but if I hear one more retailer going on about what is or is not an appropriate battery capacity I think I'll go off pop. When 1000Wh batteries are the norm, 250W 36V eBikes will have finally reached a sensible resting point where torquey sporty motors can be freely used and people in all areas can actually get out and ride any terrain with their bikes for decent length outings - without stressing about rationing and without charging points assuming the attraction of a toilet after a spicy curry ! Kalkhoff are about 1/2 way there - the Bosch high capacity battery is only 1/3 of the way there. Sure I can tease out 70+ miles off my battery by riding it unpowered most of the time (or as good as - since Marathon + tyres and 25kg negates 'Eco' assist levels almost totally - you may as well just buy a fast unpowered bike and wear fewer clothes !). But I'd rather have the power to go all out tearing around hills for 40 miles without spare batteries flapping around and not worry about winding up limping home.

If they just got on with sorting this battery thing out we'd have some proper decent machines out there. But I've a feeling they'll have bled willingness to buy dry by the time they get there for some of us !

bournaze

Just Joined
Jun 7, 2013
Toulouse, France
Hello

I have an Agattu i11 (2013 version of C11).
O u know what is the last Impulse software version ?

My bike has these versions :
C64.1046 (sept 4 2012)
M18.1.229 (sept 20 2012)

Thank u for answer,
Regards

David

Envoyé depuis mon ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T avec Tapatalk

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
^^ So far as I'm aware those are the latest publically available versions. M.18.1.229 Sep 20 2012 is the 2013 software update version.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Yes, that's the latest version.