anyone else got plantar fasciitis from cycling?

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
It's just dawned on me that my heel pain started not long after I got the e-bike - I'm hoping it's just coincidental as I think the bike is getting me fit in many other ways, but if it's causing plantar fasciitis, it looks like I will have to find some other way.
Mike

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
If like many you pedal with your arches rather than having the pedal shaft under the ball of your foot you can cause pain that is not dissimilar to plantar fascillitis.

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
No Chris - definitely the balls of my feet are on the pedals always and my knee seems to follow an arc directly over the foot/pedal

onthe-edge

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2018
portsmouth
I really think it's a coincidence and that something else is causing the pain. I had the condition quite severely before I retired and it cleared up quickly when I no longer had to spend 8hrs a day on my feet. I only got my bike back in June and I've used it a lot, but touch wood there's been no re-occurrence of the problem. Look into some insoles for your walking shoes, and best of luck with keeping it at bay. cheers

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Thanks guys - that's comforting advice (plus the fact that there hasn't been a deluge of people saying 'Hey - funny you should say that ....'
Mike

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Thanks guys - that's comforting advice (plus the fact that there hasn't been a deluge of people saying 'Hey - funny you should say that ....'
Mike
Hey - funny you should say that, but I personally think its very possible that heel pain is due to cycling!
I know I get it now and again. Usually when I've been pushing too hard and/or using a different bike to normal.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I have had the planter thing for years and eventually sought help from the nhs who provided some supportive insoles which do the job if I wear them all the time. I find that cycling using either clipped in or flats can agravate the situation on a long ride probably because I don't put the insoles in my biking shoes, but also possibly because of where the pressure is on my foot.
I would say that cycling doesn't cause it but can aggravate it if already there.
Nhs was great. Doctor referred me to local hospital where they assessed my feet and had the insoles made to measure for free and can get more if and when they wear out. I have tried off the shelf insoles with limited success so wouldn't recommend them .

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I to have sensitive soles that often end up aching :(
I've been using cush'n'step insoles for so long I can't remember when I first got into them but I know I can't walk far without them.
Worth a try for a few quid :cool:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
The PF thing is a bit more heel specific and for me it's like someone has put a nail in my shoe in the centre of my heel and when its really bad I tend to walk toe down.. My nhs insoles are built up in stages under my instep to take the pressure off my heel and after a few weeks using them it's history but will come back if I don't use the insoles ( I have 2 pairs of insoles but more than 2 pairs of shoes!)
When it's bad I religiously wear the insoles but as it gets better I tend not to bother swapping the insoles about in different shoes, especially cycling shoes ..
The referral at the hospital was interesting.. it was a young woman, looked like a child but knew her stuff, had me walk barefoot up and down the room and spotted it straight away.
I would advise anyone genuinely suffering with PF to go get a referral from your doctor rather than make do with off the shelf ones..

Advertisers