Anyone successfully transported an ebike recently to Spain by courier etc?

alban

Pedelecer
May 25, 2011
Trying to get an ebike to Almeria, Spain and back for a holiday - for a half-reasonable price. Can't find local hire.
Seems to be a big scare on Li batteries following Dreamliner debacle. Ryanair won't take ebikes and I don't fancy my chances of trying to explain that one without the battery is safe. Rather not lug it to the airport anyway. Tried numerous couriers 'No Guv' or prohibited. Waiting on 'a man with a van' operation to reply. 'SendmyBag.com' - 'No'.
I think there is a very recent, almost blanket, ban on batteries in planes unless small and in a phone, laptop. No loose ones. No big ones. But even road transporters seem reluctant - or it's 100E each way. Easier just to say no for some.
Maybe it's just not doable for a temporary stay. Any ideas? (No - I'm not riding it there!!)

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Trying to get an ebike to Almeria, Spain and back for a holiday - for a half-reasonable price. Can't find local hire.
Seems to be a big scare on Li batteries following Dreamliner debacle. Ryanair won't take ebikes and I don't fancy my chances of trying to explain that one without the battery is safe. Rather not lug it to the airport anyway. Tried numerous couriers 'No Guv' or prohibited. Waiting on 'a man with a van' operation to reply. 'SendmyBag.com' - 'No'.
I think there is a very recent, almost blanket, ban on batteries in planes unless small and in a phone, laptop. No loose ones. No big ones. But even road transporters seem reluctant - or it's 100E each way. Easier just to say no for some.
Maybe it's just not doable for a temporary stay. Any ideas? (No - I'm not riding it there!!)
Hi Alban,

Try using UPS, we have had them deliver batteries in the past to us from abroad?
May be an option?

I certainly wouldn't trust ryan air with my ebike!

Martin

alban

Pedelecer
May 25, 2011
Hi Guys
Thanks for that info. Unfortunately there are no ebike hirers for miles. UPS don't ship large lithium batts as part of the general panic.
'Lithium metal and lithium ion batteries: These batteries can be rechargeable or non-rechargeable power sources and are common in computers, cell phones, cameras, and other small electronic devices. If dropped, crushed, or short-circuited, lithium batteries can release dangerous amounts of heat and may ignite, making them dangerous in fires. Special regulations apply to shipping these batteries. Shipments requiring dangerous goods shipping documents are accepted only from contract shippers for transport within the UPS dangerous goods service area. Certain lithium batteries may not qualify for UPS dangerous goods service.'
Hertz seemed to have stalled on that op.
Cheapest shipper is £170 round journey.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Yes, UPS prefer ordinary non-lithium cargo, which can be dropped, crushed, run over with impunity.
It amazes me they can't simply improve their handling techniques, but that would involve training more monkey and extra peanut expense.

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
Seems to be a big scare on Li batteries following Dreamliner debacle. Ryanair won't take ebikes and I don't fancy my chances of trying to explain that one without the battery is safe. Rather not lug it to the airport anyway. Tried numerous couriers 'No Guv' or prohibited. Waiting on 'a man with a van' operation to reply. 'SendmyBag.com' - 'No'

100 euro each way does not seem unreasonable....i sent a standard bike recently to amsterdam for £75 including insurance with this company. they used road/ferry 48 hour service door to door.
Air Freight | Sea Freight Forwarders | International Courier
who subcontracted to ups , but were one of only a few companies who would accept the size of a bike box.
have an adventure and go by car with bike rack.......or go by train with bike........
regards

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I was looking at the International Airtraffic control regulations dangerous goods part today at work.
any lithium battery over 100watts is prohibited form transport in pasinger aircraft. even a 5 watt one can be prohibited. it is international regulation. the dangerous goods air cargo regs are stringent and enforced by long stays at her Maj's pleasure.
It may also be difficult by sea transport too. different regs but all will increse cost.

alban

Pedelecer
May 25, 2011
Yep - it's getting draconian. I think temporarily it's even worse than that as that reg above came in in Jan 13 and was superseded in Feb by something more restrictive.
That's the trouble with the 'safety' argument - where does it stop eh? We all shouldn't have elec or gas in our homes as it's dangerous and people die from them. All cars should go at 10mph so no-one is hurt. As always it's a balance of harms and hassles.
Ah I've reached that difficult age where I grumble uselessly on....

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
From what I understand, the Boeing Dreamliner problem wasn't caused by the lithium battery pack itself, but by a faulty charging system. Of course, there have been other incidents and even loss of aircraft (the one in Dubai a couple of years ago) which makes carriers very nervous, especially given that many of the cheapo lithium batteries being carried are made shoddily, packed shoddily, and handled shoddily, so I don't blame them.

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
Yep - it's getting draconian. I think temporarily it's even worse than that as that reg above came in in Jan 13 and was superseded in Feb by something more restrictive.
That's the trouble with the 'safety' argument - where does it stop eh? We all shouldn't have elec or gas in our homes as it's dangerous and people die from them. All cars should go at 10mph so no-one is hurt. As always it's a balance of harms and hassles.
Ah I've reached that difficult age where I grumble uselessly on....
Yes me to, a forum friend often calls me Victor :rolleyes:

barrycoll

Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2009
Guardian this morning has a new train to Barcalona form St Pancreas for £185 return....plus onward Spanish train from there, so why not go together with the bike....

we drive to Murcia with the bikes on the back in June

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Like Martin I've mailed and received batteries internationally in isolation by couriers without any problems, so you could possibly ship the bike separately and courier the battery as a parcel if you have a destination address to receive it on your behalf.

scifibuff66

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 1, 2013
High I had two ebikes shipped by a private company, Man with a lorry. To a place called Vera about 60 miles from Almeria.
It depends on how long your holiday is we spend 3 months in Spain over the winter and the bikes are staying there.
But there are people that do regular trips from UK to Spain and Back. Look on the local web sites for Almeria area, also some of the local english free papers are online and they have adverts for man and van.
Euro weekly news is one, Almeria free adds. There is also a local radio station Spectrum FM Mojacar who have sponsered links on their web site.
Not sure of the cost as I shipped other stuff too but might be a option if all else fails. If you need some Almeria web sites a could post some.
Eddy

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
I've met a lady customer who regularly travels by plane with her bike and has it carried as a "mobility aide", which she legitimately has need of.

However, she contacted us to repair her bike (not a Juicy) because of damage caused by the airline...

Personally, I wouldn't recommend using this means to persuade an airline to carry an e-bike. There are risks when transporting batteries, and passing that risk to fellow passengers doesn't seem reasonable.

alban

Pedelecer
May 25, 2011
Thanks all. Good ideas.
I think the problem is that it is very recently the greater restrictions have come into force for Lithium by air.
I think I've found a local company who go near to our destination.
Cost is proportional to weight and vol. of course so a folder is a good idea.

BrianP

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2012
My son is a vet and he has customers who have their pet driven out to Spain for them. So a man with a van takes pets to Spain for a living.Perhaps such a service could include carrying electric bikes. Last time the dog went out with a parrot!! Pets are expensive to leave at home and expensive to fly, it seems entrepreneurs will solve these problems. Perhaps search on pet transport and see if they will take a bike.
Brian

alban

Pedelecer
May 25, 2011
OK found a man with a van - well, an artic! EPSDirect based in Stevenage with a depot in Arboleas, Almeria. Great for me. Can ship and store until I pick up and then drop off to await their return journey. All for a reasonable fee - much less than hiring an ebike (if could find one!). They regularly transport ebikes.

fjoissa

Just Joined
Apr 18, 2019
Please tell how to insure a car carrying 20 tons, semi-trailer, to provide services for international freight? Approximate cost of this insurance. Insurance options and stuff that you need. The only normal that could find with myself is https://www.total-insurance.co.uk by a large number of positive reviews chose this company. But currently had no business.