Anyone used a trailer?

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
I'm thinking of a cycle+camping holiday next year and will likely have a motorist friend drop us off in the middle of nowhere(near a campsite if we are lucky) and then see how it goes. I like to plan far far in advance, more so if we have the chance to be stranded lol

Has anyone had experience with trailer type cargo things? Are they a huge drain that makes it a pain to cycle?

Was looking on youtube and they seem cool but I can't gague how strong the people pulling them are, don't know anyone who has one so can't test ride one. Need to try find out something as it could change the shape of the holiday entirely.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
All I can contribute is that I use 2-wheel trailers - have pulled both grandaughters in the Trail Buggy & not really noticed they're there, but only on flattish trails:
The other is an Avenir Mule which trundles along fine when well loaded, but I capsised it when I forgot it's wider than the bike & rode a wheel over a thumping great tuffet of Marram Grass. Again, didn't really notice the extra drag for several yards & sloughed the canvas sides.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That one wheel type is easiest to tow and ideal for camping. I manage in a hilly area with the one shown below and on this link, so you shouldn't have any bother with a one wheel camping setup:

Last edited:

StuntmanBob

Pedelecer
Feb 14, 2013
I have an Ipex 'Bob' trailer, and it's been out on a couple of long weekend camping trips on the non-assisted bike. I carried 24kg in mine (including fluids) and it was remarkably easy to tow along - even single track sections of the trail were no problem. My mate went to the extreme and carried about 35kg in his, which is way too much and makes the bike unstable with the weight overpowering the bike/rider.

I have had it attached to my Tonaro on several occasions, not for camping but just general urban hauling duties. This pic is of it on a 'recovery' mission, carrying a 25kg abandoned e-scooter. The bike barely knew it was towing anything, even up the hills. Strangely, it didn't seem to affect the battery economy that much...

IMG_0621_zpsea3c4cb1.jpg

Advertisers