Are Cytronex still in business?

NeilP

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2010
Just wonder if any one knows if Cytronex are still in business and supporting their products?

Tried their website, and a phone number on it , tried sales@cytronex.com, which I had used to speak to them before..mails now bounce, and also the last update on their FB page seems to be April 2018

ShallI tell the owner of the Cytronex that it is scrap and best to buy another bike?
I could fix it, I am not prepared to re wire another motor to its wiring, build or re pack the battery pack, all for a bottle or two of wine... The old motor is rusted up inside, bearing etc rusted solid, freewheel mech collapsed...

Any info about them or spares supply appreciated

IMG_6676.JPGIMG_6677.jpgIMG_9671.JPG

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
They do still seem to be in business. The new floor plan suggests that they be showing at the NEC Cycle Show in September. Maybe you could contact them through Upper street Events.

Have you tried sam@no-hills.com ?

All the best, David

Last edited:

NeilP

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2010
Ok
Thanks
Issue with e-mail was due to their server not liking my own personal
E-mail domain , until they sent me a message from a msg I sent via their web form, which finally worked. Their sending to me would have auto added my e-mail domain to a whitelist ( I guess) and allowed my subsequent mails to get through.

Phone lines were just very very busy and they don’t have a queuing phone system

They were very helpful, but without actually being any real help at all. Not prepared to give any info that will aid in fixing the bike really.
Bring in Jersey, sending the bike to them for £38.50 diagnostic check is not really very cost effective

They can supply new motor, but not new battery, and won’t guve me info on LVC/ HVC of controller.

Original pack is 30 series NiMh and charger peaks open circuit at 50 volts. So thinking building a 12 series LiPo pack at HoC of 50 volt will be ok... any thoughts ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Nimh hvc is 1.5v and lvc 1.1v, though typically 1.4v &1 .2v respectively are used for longevity.
30 cells in series gives a typical 42v hvc and 33v lvc, so you sure your bike isn't a 36v model. 12s might be a bit too much but to be sure investigate your controller first to see if the main in rush capacitor/s in side are rated for higher voltage (they will have the V written on them).
If they for instance are 63v rated buy a lion battery and more choice of either 10s/36v or 13s/48v.

It boils down how you plan on monitoring the charging, manually or use a BMS ?
12s is always and odd voltage, finding a BMS isn't to hard if you want one. Your charger might be an issue if it is a hard 50v max voltage as any BMS likely won't fully balance at 4.16v per cell level, though you could opt for a smart BMS with balance voltage adjustment. Alternatively your current charger may have a trim pot which may allow another 0.4v adjustment for balance.

Last edited:

NeilP

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2010
A few sites I have seen say NiMh peak at 1.4 to 1.6, and the OEM charger is 50 volt open circuit

I already have some 12s BMS’s kicking about, so that OK

Controller is easy to access, which is goid
Yes, definitely quoted as a 36 volt system..which is why the high charger voltage surprised me, was expecting a lower hot off charge peak

NeilP

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2010
Just been down to workshop to check
Yes charger is labelled as 36 volt 2.5 amp
Pack up at 40 volts when charged...but not sure if that is full or not. Pack has sat for a year or more and went very low.
Also one of the nickel strips had popped off the bottom of the pack. have tabbed welded it back up and pack 'seems ' OK

I'll keep cycling it a few times..checking cell strings...can't check individual cells as they are wrapped up tighter than I want to rip apart.
each string of three cells is up to about 4.35 volts while on charge, so 1.45...so looking good. might not need to replace the pack....or If i do might just buy some new NiMh cells and re pack it to original...save the hassle of BMS and new charger...and letting the magic smoke out the controller

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
1.45v is a more typical voltage you will see I believe, though chargers may vary.
Time will tell, though packs accept high charge again, if they are knackered (capacity wise) voltage will sag terribly and range will nit be good.

If you buy more Nimh cells then best to replace all of them otherwise the old weaker ones will make the new ones work to hard and money down the drain. Buying new say 10000mah D cells isn't cost effective and pricey.

For about £169 you can get new 36v 15ah silverfish lion battery off ebay with fitting pack and charger, range and power will infinitely better then Nimh though longevity may not be so.

Last edited:

NeilP

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2010
well, yes, goes without saying , always replace all cells
this pack is AA NiMh cells in a waterbottle pack. Not going bigger, just exact physical size for size replacement...if needed...

horrid multi pin at the top of the bottle connector. and difficult to get a view to get a pin out...but getting there.