Are ebikes worth the price tag?

Do you think that ebikes and pedelecs are particularly overpriced?

• Yes. Most of them are.

• No. They're all well priced.

• Some are reasonably priced. (Please state which ones you feel are good value for the price tag).

• Some are grossly overpriced. (Please state which ones you feel are overpriced and why).

Results are only viewable after voting.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Reliability, longevity, entry level parts, performance, resale values and no pedals. Are they really worth spending as much on, as you might do, when buying a decent used car? What really makes these bikes worth £1k, £2k, £3k or even £5k plus?

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Looking again at the original post we have to look past brands and individual preferences...
What makes my recent purchase worth £3400?.
Well.. it looks good, it rides good, and by golly it makes me feel good!
Do I regret paying £2800 for one that lasted just over 3 years?
Certainly not!

Scott clarke

Pedelecer
May 5, 2015
My first leccy bike cost me £500 from tesco my new one just cost me £1800 and I don't regret spending the cash. Are they worth the money? Well I guess that depends on several factors but I wouldn't be without my bike. I literally would be house bound without so to me it's worth ten times the price.

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
To me the price I paid for mine was worth it. Its a hobby with massive benefits. I'm fitter and lost a few kilo's in the few months I've owned it. I hadn't been using my non assist mountain bike as much (maybe once a fortnight) because it was such hard work on the trails around here. I'm out 2 or 3 times a week now and have never enjoyed mtbiking as much as of late. I even get excited about going out on it! After the initial outlay the cost of ownership is not high. I have a friend who goes fishing. His hobby costs him thounds £££'s a year. Other friends play golf. Again, £££1000's! None of them are getting the kicks I get out of my bike!

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Some aren't bad priced, but i find it hard to see the moneys worth in some, especially those in the thousands of pounds. I often look at them and think how much would a bike like that be if it never had the Ekit part.
I've noticed a lot of people who talk to me when they see my Ebike, often say they like the idea of them but think they're too expensive. I think this is still one of the reasons why Ebikes haven't taken off in greater numbers. You only have to see how quiet this forum is, to see how small the market is, especially as its the only UK Ebike forum on the net.
With unassisted bicycles, the choice and places to buy are so great, that you can always get great deals somewhere on bikes that are highly discounted. Not so with Ebikes.
I can pretty much afford any Ebike i want.... but i simply cannot buy something unless i see value for money in it. Which is why i went the kit route and will probably carry on doing so.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I struggle sometimes to justify what I want, often it's the thought of having it rather than the use it would be put to.

Didn't have that with my bikes, I had given it a lot of thought and they have had a lot of use (apart from the Birdy, but I new it wouldn't).

Assuming nothing is going to go short by spending a lump why not have something if it is desirable.

I have no regrets with my purchases, I enjoy the quality they have.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I struggle sometimes to justify what I want, often it's the thought of having it rather than the use it would be put to.

Didn't have that with my bikes, I had given it a lot of thought and they have had a lot of use (apart from the Birdy, but I new it wouldn't).

Assuming nothing is going to go short by spending a lump why not have something if it is desirable.

I have no regrets with my purchases, I enjoy the quality they have.
Well put!
Some would say.. "why spend all that money on a bike when you could spend it on booze n fags"....

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Well put!
Some would say.. "why spend all that money on a bike when you could spend it on booze n fags"....
Ah, the booze. Possibly a little more than I should on whisky but no fags.

Or cigarettes.