Are small bike stands any good for eMTBs?

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
I've bought a new full-sus eMTB (more about that in another post) and it has "semi-fat" tyres of a 2.8" width, standard 27.5" diameter. The bike will be around 21kg.

I am considering getting a small floor-standing bike stand, like this one. Has anyone any experience of using this sort of stand with an electric bike? I could go for another maintenance stand, one of those perfectly good £25 things you get at Lidl and Argos; however the wide legs on those things mean they take up a lot of room, and I don't have a lot of that in my house. No shed, unfortunately.

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
I have similar ones (but half the price!) bought from Ebay.

Work fine with both my greenway (700c) and my Kudos (26" Plus sized tyres, but probably not 2.8" wide).

I'm not sure that I would want to work on the bike whilst stood up like this, but very convenient for storage.

Reactions: halfer

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
Just be very careful when you are buying a bike stand because it has to be fit for purpose a lot of stand will state what weight they can handle different stands hold different weights

The last thing you want is your pride and joy on the deck all scratched because you haven't got the correct repair stand to do the job with ease
.i bought a park tool pcs9

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/park-tool-home-mechanic-repair-stand-pcs9/rp-prod5787?gs=1&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Chain Reaction-UK-PLA-PLA-All-DT-SE-Shopping QLB Manufacturer Desktop&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sec3vfLAO_dc|pcrid|161845658788|pkw||pmt||prd|19517UK

This one would do the job perfect for you mine is great i couldn't fault it handy that you can buy extras to hold tools which come in handy save walking around all the time you have all your tools in one place

i have bought the tray which was a added extra to buy for the stand
but it means i can have all my allen keys all in one place and tools

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
The last thing you want is your pride and joy on the deck all scratched
Agreed, though I have the "Lidl version" of the same - it is excellent, but another one would take up too much room. I am space challenged :oops: , so this comes out just for maintenance.

Work fine with both my greenway (700c) and my Kudos (26" Plus sized tyres, but probably not 2.8" wide).
Thanks for the warning. I have an Evans Cycles near me, maybe they will have a small one I can try.

I have similar ones (but half the price!) bought from Ebay.

I'm not sure that I would want to work on the bike whilst stood up like this, but very convenient for storage.
Just F.Y.I 27.5+ is a wheel size... there isn't such thing as 26+

27.5+ tyres have the same external diameter as the 29" wheel.

Here's a handy guide.

http://www.mbr.co.uk/news/complete-guide-to-wheelsizes-26in-650b-650b-29in-29in-327096

650b is the same as 27.5.

• Informative
Reactions: redcup1999

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
Just F.Y.I 27.5+ is a wheel size... there isn't such thing as 26+

27.5+ tyres have the same external diameter as the 29" wheel.

Here's a handy guide.

http://www.mbr.co.uk/news/complete-guide-to-wheelsizes-26in-650b-650b-29in-29in-327096

650b is the same as 27.5.
Thanks for setting me straight - what I should have said is that I have 26" wheels with the widest tyres on that don't foul the frame (as fitted by the previous owner).

The link is useful :)