Argument on the cycle path this morning

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, I had an argument with a fellow cyclist this morning.

On my route this is part of the cycle path that goes under a bridge, the entry and exit points have an incline, you cannot see who is entering the entry and exit when you are in the middle.

I usually ring my bell when entering and exiting the path so other people are aware of my presence.

Today I was coming towards this bridge and in front of me was a jogger and fellow cyclist. I shouted 'right hand side' to the jogger as a lot of joggers / cyclists are wearing headphones and then rang my bell. The cyclist in front undersrandly thought I was ringing and shouting at him, he wobbled a bit then stopped. I had no choice to stop, he also put himself at an angle so I could not pass. The cyclists exiting the bridge and other path users were wondering what was going on.
He then said 'are you ******* kidding me'
I replied 'dont come to close, I was letting the people know we were entering the bridge'
He replied 'they can see us'.
I replied 'you will be surprised how many people can't see you even with a hi Vis jacket on'.
We parted ways and I passed him further on, when going passed I said 'have a nice cycle' and he smiled back.
I will admit I should have thought about ringing the bell at the bridge when a cyclist was in front of me and not passing. This has become a habit which I will continue to do as it has saved me from being hit / hitting other path users.
The perils of cycle paths.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt and LeighPing

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Some bad tempered idiots. Probably can't help themselves, they go through life in misery, always seeing themselves as the perpetual victims.

Advertisers