Assembly Tools for Bike

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Hope I've posted this in the right section excuse me if I haven't.

I've bought a bike in a box and need to assemble it, it's a standard bike but I'm going to put a front motor on it when the motor arrives after Xmas.

I have a limited tool set
Spanners
Wrench
Pliers
Screwdriver

I believe I will need an Allen key set? 3,4,5,6,7,8mm?

Will I need any other tools?

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
It's got hydraulic brakes, does this require special tool?

To be honest I don't know how they do it for the money it was under £100 but it's a Philippine made bike so I guess no importing cost.

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Amazing value, when you think that the Chris King Headset on my bicycle would not be far of £100 to buy to day, let alone the Frog SpeedPlay Stainless Pedals!

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Amazing value, when you think that the Chris King Headset on my bicycle would not be far of £100 to buy to day, let alone the Frog SpeedPlay Stainless Pedals!
By the way, did you see that maxdrive bike pic I posted from China?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think I'll take it to the local shop it's only £4 and they have all tools etc.
Good idea, but if not:

Allen Keys, the most common sizes on bikes are 4mm, 5mm, and 6mm. They can be bought as a three way tool.

A pedal spanner is needed, since it can need effort to either install or remove a pedal.

You only mention screwdriver owned, you could need both Phillips and slot head drivers.

These plus what you've got will be enough to assemble most bikes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy88

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Thanks so much flecc, I can buy the Allen keys put most of it together then buy new pedals and saddle at the shop, which includes fitting.

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep Andy88 quite liked the look of that Bafang Max Drive bike, with a bit of luck there should be a few containers of them arriving in the U.K. come next Spring.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Yep Andy88 quite liked the look of that Bafang Max Drive bike, with a bit of luck there should be a few containers of them arriving in the U.K. come next Spring.
I think so too, from what I've seen on ebay the mark up is about 80% less shipping costs.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Depends on the pedals and spanner thickness, often you can, but some have a very narrow flatted shaft width and need the slimmer pedal spanner.
I'll give it a go in the morning, thank you again, appreciated.

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep, think I will hang on for a Bafang Max Drive, unless I get flush and go for a Bosch motor ebike.
A Pedal Spanner is a lot thinner than a regular spanner, maybe just 3mm with a slight offset at the business end.

Back to the value of that bike you have just bought, I also noticed that the Brook's Swift Titanium Rail saddle on my bicycle is around £150 at today's prices, mad really for just a saddle.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
It baffles me the differing component prices.

This is what the bike should look like when assembled.

D

Deleted member 4366

You won't need any special tools apart from the hardest one to find - common sense. You can tighten the pedal with a normal spanner. remeber that one side has a left-hand thread. You need to nip up the pedals fairly tight. You'll probably need an allen key set for the rest, but that's it.