Availability of electric bike parts in the UK

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Over the last few months I have come to realise that there is a distinct lack of UK suppliers when it comes to many electric bike parts and accessories. When I have tried to source certain parts, the only option has been to ship from China, or if I am lucky, the US. Along with this comes the usual problems of extended delivery time, missing packages, increased chance of damage, etc.

Basic economics dictates that commerce will supply what the market demands. Is it really that the UK market is too small for greater offerings than what is currently available?

This is actually a leading question. I have experience of online sales as I used to make and sell photographic lighting accessories until a couple of years ago. Demand wasn't huge since it was quite a niche market, but it was enough to sustain continued business over the few years I was operating for. I only closed the business when my main career as a photographer became more profitable. In a couple of months I will be relocating from London to Wiltshire to live with my girlfriend and am currently looking for employment. There is a part of me that wonders if there is an opportunity to do something similar regarding hard-to-source electric bike parts.

I have many thoughts and questions about this idea that I'd like to put to the members of this forum. I want to keep this initial post fairly short, so will start with just a single question. How much of a premium are you prepared to pay to deal with a UK supplier as opposed to shipping internationally? If I could supply a part for you in 2-3 days as opposed to 2-3 weeks, would an 80-100% premium be acceptable to you?

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
Would I pay double to have someonelse ship from china for me?

No, others already ship from china and resell far cheaper than you plan to.

D

Deleted member 4366

I listed some really nice controllers and motors on Ebay at more or less the same price as I paid for them plus Ebay and postage. They sold about one a month. There were other sellers selling more or less the same stuff at double the price. I bought 10 motors and 20 controllers to help out people on the forum with a cheap high quality kit, but virtually no interest. After 6 months, I still have several controllers and one motor left.

Cyclotricity and 8funbike are selling kits at prices close to those direct from China. You'd have to compete with them. Unless you go big and stock everything to become a one-stop shop and do a lot of marketing, you might be able to make a bit of pocket money, but not a living wage.

Reactions: Oxygen Bicycles

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Okay, maybe I hadn't made myself clear. All stock would be held by myself in the UK - absolutely no dropshipping would be involved.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
Okay, maybe I hadn't made myself clear. All stock would be held by myself in the UK - absolutely no dropshipping would be involved.
It's a simple enough idea, they drop ship to your house or whatever and you resell. Just explaining others already do that and do it very cheaply.

If you are talking about making your own bespoke parts in your own workshop then the regular cycling market is much larger.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Hi Dave. Thanks for the response. I'm not considering selling anything that is available elsewhere in the UK, just items only available from elsewhere. A few recent examples I have been forced to ship internationally are high quality triangle bag, replacement hub motor gears, handlebar mounted switch console, wiring harnesses, Bafang clutch.

Your prior experience is extremely depressing to hear. I know the UK EV market is small, but one a month is never going to pay the bills.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
It's a simple enough idea, they drop ship to your house or whatever and you resell. Just explaining others already do that and do it very cheaply.

If you are talking about making your own bespoke parts in your own workshop then the regular cycling market is much larger.
I'm certainly not considering doing any fabrication or manufacturing at this stage, just supplying hard to source parts.

So it would make no difference if I was the only UK supplier of a specific part, where the only alternative is to wait far longer for international shipping?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
even retailing at twice the price of China, you can't make a profit selling only components, you would need a huge clientele to make it work.
Firstly, you would need vast experience of e-kits to know what works with the clients' kits otherwise you'll be buried by bad stock and bad feedback.
Secondly, your good stock becomes obsolete after a year, especially batteries.
Thirdly, ebay is not a volume channel, amazon is better for volume and their no quibble return policy will kill your marketing plan in a couple of months.
Sorry to be a doom merchant but if you need a job, find something more 'handson' - rather than sit and wait.

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
I'm certainly not considering doing any fabrication or manufacturing at this stage, just supplying hard to source parts.

So it would make no difference if I was the only UK supplier of a specific part, where the only alternative is to wait far longer for international shipping?
Some of the parts just aren't worth replacing to most people. Motor gears are a perfect example as the average person will replace the motor/wheel or take it to a shop instead of tinker for hours with an unknown part they might not get going again.

I can think of a handful of things you could sell but none of them to make a living from. D lock holsters are high on the list but maybe a fad.

Reactions: trex

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Some of the parts just aren't worth replacing to most people. Motor gears are a perfect example as the average person will replace the motor/wheel or take it to a shop instead of tinker for hours with an unknown part they might not get going again.

I can think of a handful of things you could sell but none of them to make a living from. D lock holsters are high on the list but maybe a fad.
Hmmm... that's an angle I hadn't thought about. A good friend of mine is continually reminding me that the 'average Joe' hasn't a clue about much of the technical stuff that comes naturally to some of us. I'm quite well practised at that specific task and can have the wheel off the bike, motor disassembled, cleaned of debris, gears replaced, lubed and reassembled in 30 mins. Maybe I should go into electric bike repair instead :)

Reactions: trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
if you have enough capital, import and sell complete bikes.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
even retailing at twice the price of China, you can't make a profit selling only components, you would need a huge clientele to make it work.
Firstly, you would need vast experience of e-kits to know what works with the clients' kits otherwise you'll be buried by bad stock and bad feedback.
Secondly, your good stock becomes obsolete after a year, especially batteries.
Thirdly, ebay is not a volume channel, amazon is better for volume and their no quibble return policy will kill your marketing plan in a couple of months.
Sorry to be a doom merchant but if you need a job, find something more 'handson' - rather than sit and wait.
Maybe I'd underestimated how small a market it actually is, especially when I'm only considering a sub-niche of the already limited EV market.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
This is something I'd already thought about, but opens up a can of worms regarding ongoing customer support and warranties. I thought starting on a smaller scale would be wise, hence offering niche parts.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
This is something I'd already thought about, but opens up a can of worms regarding ongoing customer support and warranties. I thought starting on a smaller scale would be wise, hence offering niche parts.

yes and no.
Selling your own bikes can provide you with a proper living wage and growth prospect. You are one of those rare people with already experience in fabrication, marketing, bike mechanics and good with communications, reducing your outgoings in the intial stages.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Daniel,

As you have probably gathered by now the savvy people on the forum aren't going to pay over the odds for something that they can source relatively cheaply just by doing a bit of research on the forum or elsewhere on the internet.

If I may just pick on one example that you mentioned, replacement hub motor gears.

I have them in stock for a brand of electric bike that has been in the UK since 2006 and in the time that I have been the sole supplier I have sold only 2 sets. The profit on the net profit on that wouldn't buy a decent meal.

If you had a product that was totally unique, highly desirable and affordable, then with the right marketing you might be on to something, the question is what is that product and how do you compete with someone who is prepared to sell it for less than you.

If you find that product, please let me know;)

P.S. wanna buy some of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261367349215?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

Reactions: bigroy and funkylyn

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
That was what I was thinking. Not from China, but from the rest of Europe.
Bring in mainstream 'grey import' bikes. It worked for cars and motorcycles, so perhaps it could work for electric bicycles as well.

The service could be offered to potential clients that like the idea of saving money on a bike, but don't want to be involved with the actual import aspect. There has to be an angle there somewhere, but I'm just not sure what.

C

Cyclezee

Hi again Daniel,

Only yesterday I was approached by an electric bike company from mainland Europe who are looking for an outlet in the UK.

If you are interested, send me an email.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Hi Daniel,

As you have probably gathered by now the savvy people on the forum aren't going to pay over the odds for something that they can source relatively cheaply just by doing a bit of research on the forum or elsewhere on the internet.

If I may just pick on one example that you mentioned, replacement hub motor gears.

I have them in stock for a brand of electric bike that has been in the UK since 2006 and in the time that I have been the sole supplier I have sold only 2 sets. The profit on the net profit on that wouldn't buy a decent meal.

If you had a product that was totally unique, highly desirable and affordable, then with the right marketing you might be on to something, the question is what is that product and how do you compete with someone who is prepared to sell it for less than you.

If you find that product, please let me know;)

P.S. wanna buy some of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261367349215?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649
I consider myself 'savvy' and I always prefer UK suppliers unless I can afford to wait for shipping from the far-east, especially if something keeping my bike out-of-service. In that instance, for me at least, cost is a low priority.

I find it sad that EV technology is not allowed to flourish here in the UK. What with pitifully low power and speed limits and the fact that us Brits are generally not ready to end out love affair with the internal combustion engine, it just seems like a losing battle. I'm going to go out on a limb to say that the electric bike has changed my life. It's mostly solved all my transport issues when it comes to commuting and local travel. Electric bikes also saved me from severe depression a couple of years ago (a story for another time) and I haven't stopped smiling since. I really believe that the market should be so much bigger than it currently is.

Out of interest, what gears are you referring to? Recently I've been getting through nylon planetary gears for a Bafang SWX series motor at an alarming rate (I like to mod things to destruction). I've currently got 12 spares, but unless I manage to burn out the windings on this motor, I'm sure I'll be requiring more at some point.

Reactions: Electrifying Cycles

Oxygen Bicycles

Trade Member
Feb 18, 2010
www.oxygenbicycles.com

but tell me honestly, was it enough for a fish and chips mate :)

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
That was what I was thinking. Not from China, but from the rest of Europe.
Bring in mainstream 'grey import' bikes. It worked for cars and motorcycles, so perhaps it could work for electric bicycles as well.

The service could be offered to potential clients that like the idea of saving money on a bike, but don't want to be involved with the actual import aspect. There has to be an angle there somewhere, but I'm just not sure what.
Are you saying that there's a demand within the UK for specific European models that is not currently being met? If so, this is an interesting prospect. What I'm not interested in is offering the same stock as another dozen retailers already active within the UK.

Reactions: djbarnat