Axle on BPM front too thick for dropouts

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
Has anyone else seen this before ? I have standard 26 disc forks and an standard BPM front hub

It fit fine on old bike but new one....Not a chance . As the title states the axle is too thick.

Both old and new forks are standard, old school qr dropouts . Old are surly steel rigid and new magura sus forks.

Guess I can file down the axle but just wondered.

D

Deleted member 4366

Don't file the axle. You must file the forks. The reason is that the BPM and your old forks are 10mm. Your new bike has a 9mm axle (normal for QR wheels).

Ideally, you should change your forks to steel ones because there's a fair chance of breaking your drop-outs if you don't fix the motor correctly in aluminium or magnesium ones. Certainly, fit at least one properly anchored torque arm. By properly anchored, I mean to a rigid fixing position, not a jubilee clip.

My birthday in November

Shall be calling you then!
Is this for the Ti Charger then? Don't go knackering those Maguras!
If you'd like to go 02B now, I might be able to do you one on tick until the greetings cards stuffed full of birthday cash arrive in November... give me a bell :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Just realised K is using his alter ego Spanos :p.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Ahh good point ! Unless 9mm torque arms exist ?
I haven't seen 9mm torque arms. It's not just the torque arms, the anti-rotation washers don't work well if you file the axle.
You can use your QR skewer in the 10mm slots though.

• Useful
Reactions: BornAgainCyclist

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
I haven't seen 9mm torque arms. It's not just the torque arms, the anti-rotation washers don't work well if you file the axle.
You can use your QR skewer in the 10mm slots though.
Decided I shall risk filing the dropouts at the weekend. I'll admit to being a wee bit nervous mind !