Back after 2 years

Rouge Rider

Pedelecer
May 14, 2017
Sunderland
Hi all,its been just over 2 years maybe 3 and I'm back to see if these machines are anymore reliable..? I was dead set on a turbo levo once upon a time but now I'm open to other suggestions..
I'm 42 for another week or two but unfortunately I've put a few to many pounds on in that short space of time..I would prefer full suspension,I've got it in my head it will be more comfortable.
Bikes I'm considering are..turbo levo,haibike flyon version,should drag my big ass about,cube hpc 625 although the super loud motor does pit me off a little..I would like to compare motors it might just help me make up my mind...
Oh and I'll be mainly trail riding or just doi g laps of where I live...good to be back and hopefully this time I'll take the plunge

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
how reliable it is depends how much you can fix and sort it out your self if you spend 8k on a ebike and have no tools for all the parts fitted and need to use a bike shop it will get expensive very fast.

i try to clean my bike after every ride and keep it clean as possible to avoid problems but anything can fail no matter how much you spend.

DSC_0065_01.JPG

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I've only seen video, but the Flyon does look like a powerful beast.

More grunt than Bosch/Yamaha/Brose which are all much of muchness.

Big battery on the Flyon, although that extra power won't be free so you need to work out if it will go for long enough for your needs.

Rouge Rider

Pedelecer
May 14, 2017
Sunderland
The last time I was here it seemed to be horror story after horror story.i decided to wait until technology improved or atleast I'm hoping it has,hence the question from knowledgeable people...
I bought a cube mtb years ago and lost a shed load of weight,it was stolen and as I started putting the beef back on I bought an orange mtb but just could not motivate myself at all.not sure if I fell out of love with riding or just putting myself through the pain again..this will be an expensive test I suppose.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You probably already know it, but exercise is a very ineffective way to lose weight. You can quickly burn off some fluid but just as quickly regain it.

Almost all successful weight loss is due to diet change, both reducing the total eaten and keeping a tight rein on the fattening foods like sugars, fats and starchy carbohydrates. And far from being expensive, it actually saves you money with less eaten.

Where exercise added to that really helps is that it depresses appetite, particularly the comfort eating we can all too easily lapse into.

Rouge Rider

Pedelecer
May 14, 2017
Sunderland
You probably already know it, but exercise is a very ineffective way to lose weight. You can quickly burn off some fluid but just as quickly regain it.

Almost all successful weight loss is due to diet change, both reducing the total eaten and keeping a tight rein on the fattening foods like sugars, fats and starchy carbohydrates. And far from being expensive, it actually saves you money with less eaten.

Where exercise added to that really helps is that it depresses appetite, particularly the comfort eating we can all too easily lapse into.
I think exercises is every bit as important as diet but that's completely off topic..

Rouge Rider

Pedelecer
May 14, 2017
Sunderland

Big battery on the Flyon, although that extra power won't be free so you need to work out if it will go for long enough for your needs.
I was riding regular 30mile around trips..so hopefully either the battery is enough or the motor is ok when out of battery

Rouge Rider

Pedelecer
May 14, 2017
Sunderland
how reliable it is depends how much you can fix and sort it out your self if you spend 8k on a ebike and have no tools for all the parts fitted and need to use a bike shop it will get expensive very fast.

i try to clean my bike after every ride and keep it clean as possible to avoid problems but anything can fail no matter how much you spend.

View attachment 33582

Put aside how good I am at fixing,my question is how often do they need fixing? Not routine maintenance but actual motor breakdowns or battery problems.a few years ago it seemed like everyone who bought the levos were constantly sending them.back to be repaired or replaced

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Put aside how good I am at fixing,my question is how often do they need fixing? Not routine maintenance but actual motor breakdowns or battery problems.a few years ago it seemed like everyone who bought the levos were constantly sending them.back to be repaired or replaced
My observations lead me to believe that those people who were constantly breaking bikes 2 or 3 years ago, will still be breaking a 2020 bike at a very similar frequency.

Reactions: Rouge Rider

Rouge Rider

Pedelecer
May 14, 2017
Sunderland

I agree,it looks very capable...not to many real life reviews unfortunately

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I reckon not much has changed.

The Brose motor in some Levos still has a question mark over it.

Shimano Steps seems reliable, as it seems to have been from day one of the latest version.

Bosch is reliable in road and trekking use, but didn't like proper mud.

Improved seals may have dealt with that.

Few reports of problems with Yamaha.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

out of all the motors so far the brose is the worst to work on and hardest to get parts for as some bearings can not be bought.

this is the inside of my motor after 5 years.
DSC_0114.JPGDSC_0115.JPG

Reactions: Woosh