Bafang BBS01/ C961 Display and Throttle Issues

Aushiker

Pedelecer
Hi

I have a couple of small issues with my Bafang BBS01 36V with the C961.

(1) The battery level shows full irrespective of the level of charge. For example I have ridden 57 kilometres since the first charge yet the display is still showing a full battery. Either I am getting amazing battery life or the display is not correct.

(2) Today I lost throttle. I checked the connection and that seems okay. Everything else is okay, the display is getting power, speed sensor is working etc. It is just the throttle not responding. On my last ride it worked without issue and nothing has been changed since then.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Andrew

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
remove the C961 silver battery to force a reset.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I mean opening the C961, remove the little 3V battery, wait a couple of minutes and refit or replace the battery.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you've got to try the BBS01 18A.
I wish I had a bike cam with me to show how clever the new 8Fun bbs01 is.
If you look down at the chainring and the cranks (you cycle on some deserted track), as soon as you stop pedalling, the chainring stops about 6-7 links after you, at 60 RPM (my favourite cadence) that is roughly one seventh of a second. That makes brake sensors completely redundant if you have hydraulic brakes. Actually, in PAS, changing to a bigger cog is practically noiseless, changing to a smaller cog is NOISIER, the motor is so quiet, you can hear the chain drop to a smaller cog - incredible or what?
Derestricted, I hit 26mph with the throttle but only 19mph in PAS without throttle. That's amazing. The way the PAS works on the BBS01 is very different from the one I have (bought 18 months ago), I think 8Fun have implemented some kind of assist ratio, it seems that the assist ratio decreases with speed which is perfect if you want to keep your cycling legs.
Woosh will take the BBS01 demo bike to Redbridge.

D

Deleted member 4366

That makes brake sensors completely redundant if you have hydraulic brakes.
until you get rain-water in your throttle or break the throttle. For those that don't know, when you break an ebike throttle, it runs at half speed. Brake switches allow you to ride home by using the brake levers as a power controller. I've done in myself a couple of times in the days when I used to use cheap throttles that break when you go over a bump.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I don't have throttle on my bike - I only tested the demo bike at Woosh, that one has a throttle. I think you should test the new BBS01, I was mightily impressed with the way 8Fun took the best out of European made crank drives and improved on it, albeit just slightly.
Who would have thought to make the throttle mode go faster than pedelec mode? I must say it leaves the TCM eating dust.

Aushiker

Pedelecer
I had previously reported what I thought was a fault with my throttle on my BBS01 and testing [checking voltage] suggested by Paul at EM3EV seemed to confirm that the throttle was indeed faulty . Well I have been riding the bike for the past week or so assuming all was good bar the faulty throttle and that simply I have seriously lost my fitness following my crash back in February etc.

Well about 1/2 way into my ride tonight, I was about to make a turn on to a shared path and pushed on the pedal and the bike shot forward! Scared the be-juesus out of me and I nearly took out a bollard. It turns out I had been riding the bike and probably since the install or at least for the last five or six rides without assist. As I had power to the display and my lights and the motor is so quiet I had just assumed the issue was my fitness. As I am very new to riding with e-assist I really had no idea as to what it would be like or what to expect. Initially I had throttle when I installed the motor but I don't recall the feeling the pedal assist is giving me now but then my first few rides where with the assist set at 4 or 5 and not the 9 that I had it at today so maybe that is why it feels so different.

Anyway it seems I have been riding pretty much with minimal or no assist for awhile but I have no idea why it suddenly started working tonight. I will go for a ride in the morning so it will be interesting to see how it goes then and if the assist is still there.

In the meantime any ideas on what might be happening?

Also an update on the display issue. I did try to open up the display but without apply serious force it was not going to happen. Not being certain that this was necessary I decided to pull back on that approach. Following discussion with Paul I have been monitoring battery voltage and my milage to see what happens. Given what I experienced tonight I may have discovered the issue anyway ... the motor has not been working.

Thanks
Andrew

Advertisers