Bafang-bbs01. Can read but not write flash :/

Mange-88

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2019
Hi guys.

I just got my new Bafang bbs01 250w.

Today I've decided to link it to my computer to change a few parameters, but there's a problem.

I can't write/ write to flash:/

I've tried with 3 different versions of Bafang configuration tool, but they are all the same.

The COM-port appears automatically, I can't choose a different one.

I can read it tough. But when I click write flash, nothing happens. The window that should appear "writing flash successfully" doesn't.

Is there some manufacture protection

I've tried different USB ports and
Battery is connected.

I live in Norway btw.

Any suggestions?

Thx

Kind regards

Magnus

Attachments

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Don't use read/write flash, press connect, then the read (only), when finished press write (only). It's a good idea to save your original setting in case of problems. You need to use read/write on each section, basic/pas/throttle. Use the Penov tool, much better.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
It probably won't allow you to write to flash if you are trying to change parameters outside of what the firmware allows. For example, changing max current above 15A, or pedal assist start current above 50%.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Hi guys.

I just got my new Bafang bbs01 250w.

Today I've decided to link it to my computer to change a few parameters, but there's a problem.

I can't write/ write to flash:/

I've tried with 3 different versions of Bafang configuration tool, but they are all the same.

The COM-port appears automatically, I can't choose a different one.

I can read it tough. But when I click write flash, nothing happens. The window that should appear "writing flash successfully" doesn't.

Is there some manufacture protection

I've tried different USB ports and
Battery is connected.

I live in Norway btw.

Any suggestions?

Thx

Kind regards

Magnus
when u disconnect from the software.have u reconnected ,clicked read and seen if the changes have been made or not? could be they have,even though it never said.

Mange-88

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2019
Don't use read/write flash, press connect, then the read (only), when finished press write (only). It's a good idea to save your original setting in case of problems. You need to use read/write on each section, basic/pas/throttle. Use the Penov tool, much better.
Thx for reply :)

I'll try again today, when get back from work. I'm not 100% sure, but I think I've already done that :/

Where to find the Problem tool btw?

Mvh

Magnus

Mange-88

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2019
It probably won't allow you to write to flash if you are trying to change parameters outside of what the firmware allows. For example, changing max current above 15A, or pedal assist start current above 50%.
Thx for reply

Actually I was trying to change more basic parameters, after reading on the forum.

Wheel size, and keep current (set to 1% at the moment)

Mvh

Magnus

Mange-88

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2019
when u disconnect from the software.have u reconnected ,clicked read and seen if the changes have been made or not? could be they have,even though it never said.
Hi! Thx for reply

Yes. The settings goes back to"standard" when a press the read/read flash :/

Mvh

Magnus

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Thx for reply

Actually I was trying to change more basic parameters, after reading on the forum.

Wheel size, and keep current (set to 1% at the moment)

Mvh

Magnus
None of the parameters in your pictures look right. Keep current is far too low and I would be surprised if the bike would even move with it set at 1%. As I said, some parameters cannot be changed outside of certain numbers.

Did you take the screenshot pictures after you pressed 'Read Flash'?

Last edited:

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
“The COM-port appears automatically, I can't choose a different one”

The Bafang software is buggy in this regard - you *can* change the COM port by manually typing over the default value

Mange-88

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2019
I made a 5 min video. Hope that makes it more easy to understand. Please tell me if im doing something wrong, but you can see that the settings goes back to "deafult" after i press "read" or "read flash"

Mvh Magnus

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
I made a 5 min video. Hope that makes it more easy to understand. Please tell me if im doing something wrong, but you can see that the settings goes back to "deafult" after i press "read" or "read flash"

Mvh Magnus
looks like your doing things wrong. First power bike on.then connect lead and open the bafang tool. next click connect. a warning appears saying changes will invalidate warranty,click accept. ignore the two left buttons.you only use the right two. click second from right,read flash.if you hover over this it will say "read all settings from controller".click ok to,"flash read succesfully". make your changes. click right button,write flash.again hover over and it says "write all settings to controller". click ok to" flash written succesfully" message.repeat that bit twice to be sure its written.now click disconnect. you can check by re connecting and clicking the second from right button.you should see YOUR new settings appear.you can click 'file' to save those settings for future ref too.

Mange-88

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2019
looks like your doing things wrong. First power bike on.then connect lead and open the bafang tool. next click connect. a warning appears saying changes will invalidate warranty,click accept. ignore the two left buttons.you only use the right two. click second from right,read flash.if you hover over this it will say "read all settings from controller".click ok to,"flash read succesfully". make your changes. click right button,write flash.again hover over and it says "write all settings to controller". click ok to" flash written succesfully" message.repeat that bit twice to be sure its written.now click disconnect. you can check by re connecting and clicking the second from right button.you should see YOUR new settings appear.you can click 'file' to save those settings for future ref too.
Thx for reply ,Appreciate it

My battery doesn't have any on/of switch.
Should I just "connect/plug" it to the socket and then connect the USB to PC then open the Bafang tool?

I have 3 different versions of the Bafang tool.
The warranty text only appears in the Luna cycle tool.

Mvh Magnus

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Thx for reply ,Appreciate it

My battery doesn't have any on/of switch.
Should I just "connect/plug" it to the socket and then connect the USB to PC then open the Bafang tool?

I have 3 different versions of the Bafang tool.
The warranty text only appears in the Luna cycle tool.

Mvh Magnus
yeah the luna version is the one i used.that warranty message isnt goin make any difference. yeah that be fine,i wouldnt worry jus connect up with the battery on it wont blow anything.

if you dont get the ,flash read/written successfully pop up it may be the re writer of this bafang program didnt feel it necessary. You can soon check if your settings saved by hitting connect .but u must read all settings again otherwise what u did last before u exited is still displaying from memory.

Last edited:

Mange-88

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2019
yeah the luna version is the one i used.that warranty message isnt goin make any difference. yeah that be fine,i wouldnt worry jus connect up with the battery on it wont blow anything.

if you dont get the ,flash read/written successfully pop up it may be the re writer of this bafang program didnt feel it necessary. You can soon check if your settings saved by hitting connect .but u must read all settings again otherwise what u did last before u exited is still displaying from memory.

I'll try again after work. I'll get back to you. Thx :)

Mvh Magnus

Mange-88

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2019

I still have problem to "write flash" :(

Please look at the video below.

Mvh Magnus

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I think it's not writing to flash, because the values in the 'Basic' tab are not permissible. All the values on your video in the 'Current Limit[%]' are zero :oops:

As a test, try writing the 'Current Limit[%]' to 100% in each of the 'Assist Levels 0-9'. Then in the 'Speed Limit[%]' write 10% in 'Assist Level 0', 20% in 'Assist Level 1', 30% in 'Assist Level 2' and so on up to 100% in 'Assist Level 9'. You must change all these values first before writing to flash, NOT one at a time! Also, write to flash only using the write to flash on the left hand side.

Last edited:

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
I still have problem to "write flash" :(

Please look at the video below.

Mvh Magnus
everything is working fine til the write to flash.so this is occuring like fordulike says because of some impossible settings.once you have settings that comply with paramaters the motor is designed to function within it will write them.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
everything is working fine til the write to flash.so this is occuring like fordulike says because of some impossible settings.once you have settings that comply with paramaters the motor is designed to function within it will write them.
why not load karls special sauce from the list of saved profiles.make sure to change low voltage cutoff to 31v , max current to 15 and stop delay to at least 10,important or PAS will be slow to kick in.write flash an see if you get the flash successfully written pop up.