Bafang BBS02 axle gearing lost its bite..

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Actually turns out I have a BBS01 motor which every retailer barring Greenbike said couldn’t be fixed as parts were unavailable. Anna at Greenbike assured me that the ZE and LD gear were in fact one and the same thing, and only stamped differently for differently retailers. Despite being a little dubious about this, Anna showed me evidence that the workshop had in fact tried this and the motor runs perfectly on BBSO1/BBS01B and BBS02/BBS02b with either ZE or LD and I’m each model.

Received via Royal Mail 5 days and to my relief it was a perfect fit
@Scuba Steve

Fitted mine yesterday and as you quite rightly stated, it's a direct replacement. I did notice, though not a problem, that the thread on the locknut side is a few threads shorter than my old axle. This meant that I could only fit the one nut and didn't have enough threads to fit the second locknut. Did you notice this when you fitted yours?

The drive is much much quieter now, I must have had a poorly machined original secondary gear.

Reactions: Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 5, 2018
@Scuba Steve

Fitted mine yesterday and as you quite rightly stated, it's a direct replacement. I did notice, though not a problem, that the thread on the locknut side is a few threads shorter than my old axle. This meant that I could only fit the one nut and didn't have enough threads to fit the second locknut. Did you notice this when you fitted yours?

The drive is much much quieter now, I must have had a poorly machined original secondary gear.
I must admit I did have a bit of a tussle with the locknuts in trying to fit them but just took it as the norm.

Eventually I managed to get them both on, after persuading the drive side with a rubber mallet and putting a wooden block underneath while the bike was on its side, to give me enough thread to work with.

I was going to sacrifice the rubber washer as it was spotless and didn’t appear to have been called for. Once all the locknuts were fitted and everything was running, I put a bit of black sealant around everything I thought could be prone to water ingress so really the washer could have been sacrificed if needed.

Interestingly the motor is running better than ever since the work and the damage was probably caused by the locknuts working a little loose in the first place which has now been rectified with loctite.

Pleased you got yours running sweetly again. What grease did you opt for? I went with Mobilith SHC 100 which so far has kept things as quiet as a mouse and at only £7 a tube a much cheaper option.

Roll on the Spring and the sunshine:)

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I must admit I did have a bit of a tussle with the locknuts in trying to fit them but just took it as the norm.

Eventually I managed to get them both on, after persuading the drive side with a rubber mallet and putting a wooden block underneath while the bike was on its side, to give me enough thread to work with.
This does make me wonder if Bafang changed the design slightly, with less thread. Be interesting to know if the latest units ship with two nuts on the axle, or just the one, with that rubberized seal plug thing to stop the nut from loosening.
What grease did you opt for? I went with Mobilith SHC 100 which so far has kept things as quiet as a mouse and at only £7 a tube a much cheaper option.
I use Fuchs Ceplattyn 300

Advertisers