Help! Bafang BBS02 short circuiting when I plug in brake sensors?

HMG13

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 25, 2019
Hi everyone,

Thanks to everyone's insightful posts on here I nearly have my BBS02 up and running.

There's just one problem.

When I connect my hydraulic brake sensors to the plug and play brake cables, the motor no longer responds to throttle or pedal assist. The display turns on, but nothing happens.

Can anyone help me out? I nearly had a heart attack due to the torque of this thing when it's working, I don't want to ride without the sensors installed but I have no idea how to go about trying to fix the problem.

The circuit seems to short out when I connect either just one, or both of the brake sensors.
I haven't yet attached the sensors or magnets in place on the brake levers so it's nothing to do with holding the levers down when testing the throttle or anything silly like that.

I'm hoping I'm doing some other silly thing though that you guys and point out for me!

In case this is relevant I have the (B) version of the BBS02.

Thanks!

Last edited:

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Don't worry, that's how they're meant to behave. Once the magnets are positioned close to the sensors, the brake cutouts will disable and the motor will come to life again.

Reactions: HMG13

HMG13

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 25, 2019
Don't worry, that's how they're meant to behave. Once the magnets are positioned close to the sensors, the brake cutouts will disable and the motor will come to life again.
Thank you! I would have been worrying about that for a while haha, I didn't realise how close the magnets had to be to the sensors. It's all working great, cheers