bafang crank drive kits

jhinshel

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2011
Can anyone offer advice on the bafang crank drive kits?
Are there a range of chain ring sizes available?
Is it possible to have 2 chain rings and a front changer?
Does the crank kit have a speed restriction and is this configurable?
Does the motor bottom out over speed bumps or uneven terrain?

Also a comment on the crank drive versus rear motor ...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have bbs with 52t chain ring and 11-32t rear cassette, standard kit ring is 46t also available is 48t.
Just single ring only no option for front mech.
Easy to restrict and derestrict.
No bottoming out unless you are riding extreme off road over rocks.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I recently tried a 250W bafang bike and was impressed with the smooth power delivery and quietness.

It seemed to me to have a bit less poke than my Bosch bikes, although opinions vary on that.

In any event, it's easily cured by buying one of the higher power versions.

Those may interest you anyway, because you are asking about speed and derestriction.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Standard chainrings are 44-46-48-and 52.
There are also custom made 42 teeth ones available here http://www.alcedoitalia.it/shop/accessori-bbs/corona-42-denti-per-bafang-centrale-bbs01/ and another was released last week but I cant find it at the minute.

There are also adaptors that let you put different size chainrings on but they tend to worsen the chainline.

Most BBS02 are limited to 50kph but this can be removed with free software on the internet when you buy (or make) a cable.

I ride mine over the trails at my local forests and have never touched the motor and that was when I had it on 26 inch wheels.

The beauty of the crank drive is it allows you to use the gears to keep the motor in the efficient zone whereas with a hub if you slow too much on a hill you risk overheating.(I have both).

A hub is good if you are not going up really steep hills and dont want to potter around at less than 10 Mph.

Reactions: KirstinS

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
watch out for the new kit from XMAX with built in torque sensor instead of PAS.
Cheaper than Bafang BBSxx. The torque sensor also helps to eliminate the gear change noise.
They claim it can climb 25% gradient. Does look very well built and comes with BCD so can use standard rings.

xmax.png

Last edited:
Reactions: mfj197

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Still cant use cogs less than 42T though,its the final drive size that limits that.
I might get one for a mudbike,save having to wash the Cannondale so often.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
to ride muds, I reckon you'd need both 500W CD + rear BPM.
d8veh may have made one like that before.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I have been using my BBS02 and its been perfect for the job,even rode through a ford that came up over the motor 3 times before I realised whaat I had done.
Been through quite a lot since(its at the end of the forest so washes the wheels off) and the motor has never missed a beat.

Reactions: mfj197 and trex

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
watch out for the new kit from XMAX with built in torque sensor instead of PAS.
Cheaper than Bafang BBSxx. The torque sensor also helps to eliminate the gear change noise.
They claim it can climb 25% gradient. Does look very well built and comes with BCD so can use standard rings.
Looks good trex. Any further information on it? Where have you found it?

Michael

D

Deleted member 4366

to ride muds, I reckon you'd need both 500W CD + rear BPM.
d8veh may have made one like that before.
I have done that before, but the best thing for slippery off-road stuff is 2WD with 2 x Q100H with a single or linked throttles.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
New low cost Woosh CD kit:

Reactions: rippedupno1

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Also a new OEM lightweight system due to market:

http://dienatronic.imb2b.com/sell/index.php?itemid=38430

I wonder if it would clear the Brompton folding issues?
I've seen that one before, but it now looks like there's some more info about it. Torque sensor based, doesn't need a display, 250W and 1.1kg plus battery. Another link:
http://www.b-labs.org/e-ram/

It would appear to be the refinement of this system from 2012:
http://cloud2evo.com/home/374-bionicon-e-ram

Reactions: cwah
1.5 kg? that looks incredible!
yes it would be nice if they realy bring it to work. Until now it still not to buy so far I know. Since 2years the e-ram System is shown on eurobike-exhibition and I remeber they said it should be ready end of 2014 but there is still only a prototyp to see......
The gearbox is very special, it´s an exccentric gear with a 1:30 reduction and I guess there is also the problem. I have seen the gearbox but it wasn´t allow to make a photo.

The Pendix system should be ready to buy for privat´s in April 2015, I don´t know whether they can keep the shedulde.....

cheers
frank

Looks good trex. Any further information on it? Where have you found it?
Michael
Testride give´s a very good impression
it´have higher torque as the Bafang , noise is like the Bosch so a bit more than the bafang bbs but up now the system looks very good.
can use roadbike five-arm chainwheels with 110mm but this option is only for hub-gears. Chain-gears has the same problem as on the bbs with the chainline less than 42teeth dont fit well. It has the same bow to the innerside. I don´t know how to describe in englisch so I made aphoto of the chainwheel there you can see what I mean. My english so poor :(
this weekend I´ll have a look into the motor/gearbox and so on because I´m writing a documentation for this motor.

Attachments

Reactions: mfj197 and trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Have you looked at its torque sensor? does it use strain gauge or spring loaded displacement?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The main advantage of the XMAX unit is higher torque and because it has a torque sensor, it will suit donor bikes with hydraulic brakes. It is extremely simple to install. You only need to attach the motor, battery and LCD, that's it. Brake sensors are optional. It will also be better waterproofed than the 8-Fun kits because the cabling is simpler.
the XMAX unit is the most advanced Chinese CD kit at the moment. 8-Fun have built such a dominant brand image in the West that new entrants to the market will have a very hard time. If they can enrol Frank's help, they may be able to compete.

Reactions: mechaniker