Bafang CST failing?

SwampRodent

Pedelecer
Jun 19, 2019
Morning fellow pedelecers,

My 500W CST has recently started to sound unhappy, occasionally when I open the throttle I hear the motor spinning but with no drive then get a sound like 2 or 3 spokes snapping then I get power and it might be perfectly OK for the next 50 miles. The first time this happened I had a squealing sound like a broken spring all the way into work (private roads of course). The motor is a bit of an unknown as it is second hand, it appears that the 500W 36V CST has been discontinued probably due to their habit of burning up plugs (I've got through 2 plugs on the last motor in 20,000 miles).

I've had the motor apart and the planet gears look fine and there are no broken teeth floating about and surprisingly no water inside after riding through the recent floods up this way, there is however a lot of play in the bearings which makes me think there may be mega mileage on this motor, I can rock the wheel rim side to side by a good 6mm which doesn't exactly inspire confidence. I haven't yet dismantled the actual motor itself. I'm also not convinced its 500W as compared with the last motor it is so sloooow, it's either 350W or a very slow wind, it is however about 20% better on battery consumption although this might be due to the lower speed. The last motor would top out at about 22mph this one is about 19.

So I guess I'm asking has anyone else had this happen, and if as I suspect the motor is on its way out I need to replace it with something else, I am kind of stuck with 36V and a 9 speed gear train. I also get many punctures so the wheel has to be easy to remove (especially in the dark and wet) and my commute is in a VERY hilly area with a 700ft climb on the way home often into a savage head wind.

At the moment it looks like my only option is to buy the 350W version of this moter.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It is likely a clutch issue and might need replacing.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The winding or rpm may well be different.
There is more to the clutch then the three nylon gears.
The bearings are simple to replace, one on the LHS & one large dia central one. Plus a pair for hub body.
The LHS has a washer/seal and a cone type nut this may have loosened.

SwampRodent

Pedelecer
Jun 19, 2019
It sounds like you know your way around these motors, any idea who might sell a clutch / gear set assembly, I have drawn a blank with BMS battery and Greenbikekit only show an assebly for the smaller SWXK type motor. I didn't want to get to far into stripping it at the time as I need the bike to get me to work, I was just looking for telltale debris or broken gear teeth.

At one point I thought the motor might be randomly spinning backwards then suddenly spinning forwards but I think it is more likely to be a clutch issue, when the motor is behaving it works flawlessly.

Someone did a write up once on what bearings were required, they were all of the shelf bearings but when I took the motor apart they seemed a bit more obscure, one had quite a large inner diameter.

If the bearings and clutch are readily available I will definitely look at a full rebuild.
I have my original motor as a stand by however having grafted a new connector on to it I can no longer change the cassette which is quite worn.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The clutch there two types one key way post 2013/14 and ones pre this date have 4 key ways.
The bearings have the part # etched on them.

My Bafang CST uses these marked bearings, you need to confirm yours are the same befor blindly ordering.
Freehub body 2 x 6092RS.
LHS end bearing 6904RS.
Central large bearing 6811RS.

The freehub ones are likely ok but as they are cheap I chose to replace them any way.
The LHS bearing taps out with a drive tool and mallet, I used an appropriate size socket.
The central can be pulled with a puller or as I did used a pair of wide blade screwdrivers as levers opp each other and worked my way around the bearing gently applying down pressure on them, mine popped off quite easily.

SwampRodent

Pedelecer
Jun 19, 2019
Fab thanks Nealh, they look similar to my bearings. The motor failed completely this moring on the way to work so now I've got nothing to loose so I can tear it apart and check the bearing numbers.

I think there are some electrical gremlins as well, some times it feels like its running on 2 phases so between this the worn bearings and broken clutch I think this motor is whats known in the trade as a pup.

Any idea if the CST clutch assembly is the same as the BPM (obviously taking into account the single or 4 slots)?

I wonder how feasible it would be to lock the clutch so I could benefit from regen braking? I guess probably not wise on a rear wheel and the fact I can reach 40mph by freewheeling down some of the hills I don't think the motor would thank me, probably realisticly the increased load would limit the top speed to about 20mph, and the thought of riding a heavy dead ebike up a 700 foot climb into a head wind working against the motor doesn't bear thinking about :)

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Any idea if the CST clutch assembly is the same as the BPM
Looks like it is from link on this thread.
Here you go, these guys have both types, although you may find the 1 slot cheaper elsewhere.

SwampRodent

Pedelecer
Jun 19, 2019
You were absolutely correct with the bearings mine are the same, unfortunately my clutch is the old 4 spline type so I've placed the order with e-bike solutions Germany, lets hope my faith in Google translate holds up or I might be in for a surprise in a few days time!

I've taken my clutch apart, its impressively made, it looks like it should last a life time, I can't really see anything that would make it fail, I'll give it a good clean and see what happens.

Clutch small.JPG

Interestingly now I'm using my retired old high speed CST I've realized that the low speed wind version is so much better for my application, its way better at climbing steep hills, better in a strong head wind and best off all uses a LOT less battery, the low speed wind uses about 7Ah for my 14 mile homeward commute and the high speed wind is currently still charging and has passed 11Ah!!

Definitely an incentive to repair the motor.

SwampRodent

Pedelecer
Jun 19, 2019
OK, bit of an update.

New 4 spline clutch fitted and new bearings, so about £75 spent but there is absolutely no play in the bearings now and the new clutch is working a treat. The bearings were a doddle to change.

I put 20 mostly off road miles on the motor yesterday so looking good.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Good to go for another 10 years now.