Help! Bafang Hub motor... user serviceable?

Jackytwoshoes

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 29, 2019
Well, the tool and parts arrived from GBK. I've soaked the grubs screws in some penetrating oil, and perhaps at lunch time I'll get a chance to attempt a fix.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Remember, some are left-handed threads and some right-handed. Let us know which yours is. If you can't shift it, use a hot air gun on the hub between the spokes. Get it up to a temperature where it's just about too hot to touch.

Reactions: Jackytwoshoes

Jackytwoshoes

Mar 29, 2019
The grub screws came out without too much bother- one seems to have previously been rounded but I got a slightly bigger imperial drive and got it out. They were standard thread, with some blue loctite.

The hub came apart easy as pie with the tool. Standard thread.

Nasty chewed gears:

And a horrible paste of plastic and grease:

And the new gears waiting to go in:

Looks pretty straightforward, I just need some circlip pliers before proceeding, and lunchtime is over...

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
I wonder should you clean up the outer gears (with a wooden toothpick) in case there is bit of the broken off nylon gears stuck in the grooves. Also check inner steel gear?
Also I think there is a recommendation not to use petroleum based grease as some claim it will soften the nylon. I bought a smalltube of silicon grease (food grade) as well as three 36T gears as I have a Bafang rear hub with 11,000 mile and its getting noisy. I wonder is this the right lube?

Jackytwoshoes

Mar 29, 2019
Hmm interesting point about petroleum grease- I had some lying around so I definitely would have just used that! I don't know that answer I'm afraid- I have a feeling these gears will get chewed to pieces again before they degrade- too much stop/start stuff in London and throttle is addictive...

I cleaned the hub with a toothbrush... looks much better now. It's actually hard to get the new gears into the hub, but I'm hoping that once the teeth are properly aligned around the centre gear they'll slot in ok. The replacements have different markings, but hopefully they're the same size...

Originals: 8fun 11 9
Replacement: Bafang 11 S6

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Don't be shy with the new grease. I have an old tub of Moly that I use but lithium/silicon is ok. Whilst at it rotate that bearing by hand to check for any roughness in it's operation.

Jackytwoshoes

Mar 29, 2019
Got my hands on some circlip pliers to get the mechanism off but sadly the supplied cogs are of a different pitch. 33293

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There are several versions of the clutch. You have to specify the number of teeth on the gears and the type of centre (spline vs keyway).

You can buy the gears on their own. How many teeth do you need?

Advertisers