Bafang M Series

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Noticed that these new Bafang motors will be appearing next year, obviously specific frame required so will be OEM so no kits.

Not much info about these new motors, but they appear to be geared, does anyone know if this will negate the need to have derailleur or igh on the bike, or am I missing something.

Another feature I liked about these motors is that they are using isis as the crank interface, which is the same as Bosch use, so that's another box ticked.

These could be the ebike that I am waiting for, mid drive with some 100nm or so of torque, at 250watt making them street legal, although they are said to be doing "S" Pedelec variants and beyond.

Anyone got more info, especialy regards the gearing.

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Thanks anotherkiwi, but I think the one in your link is the Bafang Max Drive.

No mention of gears and is square taper for the cranks.

The Max Drive seems good but only 80nm not 100nm torque.

The Bafang M Series 500 seems a different beast altogether and new for 2018 whereas the Bafang Max Drive has been around for a couple of years, although I have never spotted one here in the UK.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Spot on anotherkiwi, that's the one, thanks for posting the images.
I kinda get the gear thing now, and you still need to use regular gearing in the rear wheel.

The isis crank interface inspires confidence, and I will be on the look out for Bafang M 500 series bikes with the above motor.

Of course I would dump the antiquated derailure in favour of my Rohloff, at 100nm the Rohloff should just about take the torque with the correct chain ring and rear sprocket set up.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Looking forward to seeing these motors in a bike soon. If they perform well and prove reliable they will be a great open source alternative to Bosch, Yamaha and Shimano etc.Frey are one company working on producing bikes with them and have been asking people on ES for opinions on frame geometry, battery placement etc. Unfortunatley you can never tell with Bafang when this motor will be released, the Max Drive was on thier web site for 12-18 months before it came to market.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Looking forward to seeing these motors in a bike soon. If they perform well and prove reliable they will be a great open source alternative to Bosch, Yamaha and Shimano etc.Frey are one company working on producing bikes with them and have been asking people on ES for opinions on frame geometry, battery placement etc. Unfortunatley you can never tell with Bafang when this motor will be released, the Max Drive was on thier web site for 12-18 months before it came to market.
The MM380.250 is available here:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/bafang-M445-E-SHAFT-system-MM_60735028947.html

Developed primarily with the ebike hire market in mind

Last edited: