Bafang mid drive 250W or higher?

Thatscold

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 18, 2018
Uk
I’m thinking about converting my mountain bike (Giant Trance). I’m currently approximately 100kg’s and I like the idea of some assistance getting up the hills. The bike is used predominantly off road.

Will a 250W Bafang mid drive have enough power, or will I be disappointed and regret not going for 500 or 750, or even the BBSHD?

The price and lower weight of the bbs01 is appealing (also road legal), but is it buy cheap buy twice?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
in my experience, the BBS01B is much more reliable then BBS02 (compared to both A and B versions). The BBS01B is my preferred CD kit.
This is because you are much less likely to climb hills in the wrong gear with the BBS01 like you can with the BBS02. The controller for both have the same ability to dissipate heat but the current is much less on the legal BBS01, the probability of failure is much less.

• Informative
Reactions: JPGiant

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
BBS01 should be fine. You can use a programming cable with these motors to tweak a bit more performance out of them, without compromising reliability.

Thatscold

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 18, 2018
Uk
Thanks for the reply’s- it sounds like the bbs01 is what I need. My average off road speed is roughly 10mph so high speed assist is not required. I just want to breeze up the hills.

From what I’ve read I can use it without brake cutoffs if I don’t use a throttle?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
From what I’ve read I can use it without brake cutoffs if I don’t use a throttle?
you will need hydraulic brakes if you don't have brake cutoffs.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
hi woosh what is controller amp rating for the 250w bafang, and can controller be replaced if you (fry it ) by going too slow up a steep hill)
as I did last week on 350w rear hub with shunt mod.

how does the bafang compare with your ready built rio mtb 60nm and 17 amp controller

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Woosh - I see you also sell the GSM mid drive - which is better?
the GSM is the only CD kit that can use an external controller so overheating is not an issue. The reason BBS01 and especially the high powered BBS02/HD may be more prone to overheating is because the controller is filled with latex like liquid rubber. There is no air circulation to cool it.
the downside is it needs an external controller. A few customers run it with the KT S6, others with S9 and even S12. (the number of FETs).

• Informative
Reactions: Fordulike

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
hi woosh what is controller amp rating for the 250w bafang, and can controller be replaced if you (fry it ) by going too slow up a steep hill)
as I did last week on 350w rear hub with shunt mod.

how does the bafang compare with your ready built rio mtb 60nm and 17 amp controller
All mid drives need to be in the right gear. I have stalled the GSM (once, very briefly) on a >15% hill when testing. I have since changed the chainring to a smaller one. The BBS01 has a 15 Amp controller that can be tweaked up to 18 A IIRC.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you do get about 10% more out of CD kits but you have to use the right gears. The CD will always beat geared hubs on the spread of speed and torque, on top of weight distribution. I like the 48V 18A SWX02 kit best, you have the torque of CD kits without having to think of gears.

Reactions: grazie

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Woosh - I see you also sell the GSM mid drive - which is better?
The GSM is better because you can choose the controller for it.

Both are almost identical in that chainring spiders for BBS0x fit the GSM too. The Bafang is better finished and you can buy alloy secondary reduction gear covers.

Reactions: grazie

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union