Bafang noise

climo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 8, 2018
I'm considering buying a Bafang, Tongsheng or Sunstar to go on a recumbent trike. Ideally a torque sensing motor so that probably counts the Bafang out.
My wife is concerned about noise levels especially given that the mounting position is directly in front of you. I know that the Sunstar is noisy but apparently beds in after about 200 miles and then the noise is about the same as a 2017 Bafang. I've no idea how loud that is - is the 2018 model quieter?
I've seen the video comparing the Bafang noise to the Tongsheng. The Tongsheng noise is very noticeable whereas the Bafang is almost silent. Is this other users experience as well?
I'm reading, or rather wading through, the massive Tongsheng thread and the failure rate is discouraging but then maybe you only hear when people complain. The quality is variable.
We'd be buying 2 motors so quite a sum of money. Our primary usage is long distance touring fully loaded with camping gear. We're planning a 1700km tour in Europe in April and I don't want a nasty surprise of a failure on that trip.

So, what do people think of the comparative noise levels and reliability of the Tongsheng unit?