Bafang pedal sensor issue

Hedgesteeper

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2016
somerset
As part of a build of a new Cycles Maximus rickshaw we are using a Bafang front drive hub used in conjunction with a transaxle to transmit drive. The issue we are having is the kit supplied had the wrong plug on the pedal sensor so after belling out the wires to make the appropriate connections we find that we cannot get the sensor LED to flash when turning the cranks - it only has a continuous illumination and nothing changes when we backpedal. Can anyone shed any light on this?.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You have the wire sequence wrong .
Tell us the colours of both wires or show pics of both wire ends/connectors.

You probably have the signal and 5v connected wrongly or they might be shorting if not insulated correctly.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Woosh

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
You probably have the signal and 5v connected wrongly or they might be shorting if not insulated correctly.
^ This.

The PAS sensor LED is permanently illuminated because it is being backfed a voltage through the signal wire. As Neal states, either you have the 5V & signal wires connected the wrong way round, or there is a short between them somewhere.

Last edited:

Hedgesteeper

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2016
somerset
I have tried several wire sequences all without success. There is no possibility of a short circuit unless it is in the controller itself. Thanks for the replies.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
I have tried several wire sequences all without success. There is no possibility of a short circuit unless it is in the controller itself. Thanks for the replies.
Or possibly a short inside the sensor. Have you continuity tested the 5V and signal PAS sensor wires?

Hedgesteeper

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2016
somerset
No I've not continuity tested those wires but will do, however, i have tried another sensor without any luck which leads me to the controller..

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Get yourself the cheapest 5 magnet pedal sensor. They're the most reliable and most compatible sensors. I don't why people bother with these fancy ones that are nothing but trouble.

If you show us exactly what you have, it would be easier to diagnose your problem. we've got no idea what you've got nor what you've done.

Advertisers