Balance and help

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
I have continued to observe in the forum, the poor and cold responses regarding the non-electrical questions.
If you place questions regarding a good set of panniers for your Torq, or a nice pair of cycling shorts, you get very, very little in response.
Ask about motors and batteries and you get swamped for days on end.
The other side of the technocal issues of ebikes is sometimes the uniqueness of these bikes and finding accessories and extra's to fit them to make your life more easier in the longrun.

An observation and a worry.

Discuss if you wish.

Bob.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Strange, I haven't had that impression Bob. We've had a number of pannier threads with a whole range of responses, one recently, and I've often posted about the Altura ones and the Dutch ones I use for shopping. They aren't bike model specific since carriers and panniers are pretty well standard on bikes.

I don't wear cycling shorts, but we've had threads on those too with lots of responses, one again recently on this link.

Here's a long thread on Panniers with the last posting in it on 14th August.

and another from July with plenty of responses.

Altogether there have been six threads with panniers in the title as the query this year with a total of 67 postings in them, and others where queries have been within other threads.

It may be that with the site growing, threads are slipping off the front page faster, so subjects not evident for so long.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I didn't get that impression either and I've a lot of helpful replies to non electric questions.
With the nature of assisted bikes I would guess that many people joining this forum are new to cycling or born again. So it may not be the best place to ask technical questions about gear mechs but probably is a good place to ask about gear ratios to compliment a motor because that's the experience people on here will have.
Sometimes it may seem that you are being ignored but it probably just means that people don't know the answer you are looking for.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
I must say that I think that non 'electrical' questions are given a good airing. However maybe 'we' could have another forum dedicated to accessories ~ be it shorts / carriers or lights.

On the topic of 'others' can anyone recommend some padded gloves or handlebar grips. The only real criticism of my Wisper is my hands seem to have a hard ride; I hate to think what it must be like on a front hub motor.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
On the topic of 'others' can anyone recommend some padded gloves or handlebar grips. The only real criticism of my Wisper is my hands seem to have a hard ride; I hate to think what it must be like on a front hub motor.
The grips on my Wisper are very soft, so much that after just a few hundred miles they look worn. I have a loan bike now (older Wisper) that has hard grips and I much prefer, neither feels uncomfortable. How about cycling gloves with padding in the palm or adjusting the suspension?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A major cause of this is the lean forward position, and the Torqs were made much easier by swinging up the handlebar extension to make the sitting position a bit more upright and take the weight of the arms, enabling a more relaxed grip with less pressure.

The 905se etc have a long handlebar extension which makes the lean forward situation worse, especially if the arms are a bit on the short side. Try swinging up the extension to a new position and if that helps but isn't enough, ask your local bike dealer about a shorter extension.

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
The grips on my Wisper are very soft, so much that after just a few hundred miles they look worn. I have a loan bike now (older Wisper) that has hard grips and I much prefer, neither feels uncomfortable. How about cycling gloves with padding in the palm or adjusting the suspension?
I use a pair of fingerless gloves with a slightly padded 'suede' palm I bought in a Wiggle sale. I got them mainly because I did a lot of damage to my hands when I fell off the bike some time ago on a rough road surface and instinctively put them down to protect myself. They should protect the most vulnerable part of my hands and the do give a good grip and a slightly cushioned effect on the handlebars. As regards suspension I prefer a positive feel to the bike and I wouldn't be keen on soft suspension which seems to soak up pedal effort. Flecc beat me to the reply - I agree that sorting out your riding position is the most important thing

Last edited:

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
I have found raising the bars a help. I just find it surprisiing as my other bike is an old Carlton with drop handlebars and just tape on the bars and it just feels so much softer by comparison.

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Butterfly/trekking bars and ergonomic, gel-padded grips - cycling heaven for me! :)

The bars shape also makes the main grip position narrower & slightly nearer the saddle than average riser bars, the height/angle can be adjusted and I've found they absorb shocks better than riser bars too - highly recommended, especially in combination with ergonomic gel padded grips to ease pressure on sensitive hand areas :).

Endless fun finding new grip positions on them too! ;)

Stuart.

Last edited:

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Hi Mussels,

I'd previously done flecc's throttle mod which shortens it & allows it to slide on the 'other way round' from riser bars - if the Wisper throttle can at least do the latter it should be ok, so long as its not too long and fits standard diameter bars (22mm) - its a bit like fitting your controls on 'backwards' because the bar ends face inward, not outward!

There's only about 15cm of straight bar on each side to fit your brakes, gear changers, throttle & whatever else needs to be slid on.

Stuart.