Just come across this:

banbury frank
De-registered, from Banbury
banbury frank was last seen: Wednesday at 12:14 PM

does it mean he won't be able to post?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
that is bad news. Frank is one of the most helpful members.
Count me in among members who shall very much miss his posts.

Looks like it, don't know why though.

Maybe this last post went a bit too far?
I always take the sales pitch with a pinch of salt, just in case.
Frank is one of the rare ones who added some UK manufacturing into his bikes.
He builds battery packs himself and his bikes have always stood out.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
On the other hand the advertising cost may be the reason. Frank's product lines wouldn't attract the majority of legal e-bike users so he may have had little benefit from this forum.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
The way unrestricted bikes have been pushed out of the main forum,would not have helped,i personally find i am losing interest when the site is more advertiser friendly,and any self build or sellers of not strictly legal bikes,are pushed into sub forums.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
On the other hand the advertising cost may be the reason. Frank's product lines wouldn't attract the majority of legal e-bike users so he may have had little benefit from this forum.
about advertising, the ad banners are large and sometimes repeated on the same page (eg cyclezee horizontal banner at the top and in the right sidebar on this page).
The old format had a row of small logos at the top, unobstrusive and presumably cheaper for advertisers.
would you agree that cheaper, smaller size ads would benefit both advertisers and potential buyers as more can be displayed?

Reactions: Cyclezee

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That may be true Trex, but I've got Adban installed and see no adverts, so I can't really offer an opinion of their effects over time. All I see in both positions are blank areas and the background picture.

The r/h panel just has my logo and details with the title Electric Bike Retailers below.

I'm "advert blind" with any reading anyway. Over my lifetime I seem to have developed automatic content seeking and am almost never aware of what ads I've been reading alongside. I'm told they are seen subliminally, but that won't help advertisers since in areas where I do see ads such as on TV, I tend to avoid buying those products where possible, knowing their intrinsic advertising costs.

Eaglerider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2011
East Sussex
So, was Frank pushed, or has he left of his own accord? Frank has long been a great contributor and is clearly very knowledgable about all things E.

I do hope Frank will return, he is needed.

C

Cyclezee

about advertising, the ad banners are large and sometimes repeated on the same page (eg cyclezee horizontal banner at the top and in the right sidebar on this page).
The old format had a row of small logos at the top, unobstrusive and presumably cheaper for advertisers.
would you agree that cheaper, smaller size ads would benefit both advertisers and potential buyers as more can be displayed?
Hi Trex,

As a trade member I agree with most of what you say.

Incidentally, I have no idea why Frank has departed from the forum, did he jump, was he pushed, was it the cost of advertising? I am sure someone knows.

Personally I am reviewing our advertising on the forum, it may well be better from a business aspect to downgrade to basic trade membership and invest that money in a professional revamp of our website along with some search engine optimization.
I am going to give it a bit longer and monitor the stats.

Surprisingly, this has been our busiest month since we started trading but the majority of customers have not heard of the pedelec forum.

Apologies to members, readers who have no interest in this post, but I wonder if the forum would be richer or poorer without all the big ads, they can of course be ignored or made 'invisible' if you prefer.

I suppose the bottom line is the forum wouldn't exist without advertising.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
sales leads come from active participation by traders like yourself, potential customers see that if you help a lot, then they think they'll get same good service from you later.
That may explain why you are rewarded with a good month while kudosdave is a little downhearted because of the terrible weather (you posted more than dave).
Ads on the page act as click through, if the subject on the post relates to the ads, people will click, size does not matter a bit. Chopping the size and multiply the number of ads makes sense to me.
BTW, I hate ads with animated GIFs.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I don't think that the adverts make a massive difference to sales, but obviously without them any forum would struggle to survive. I do glance at them, but don't pay them much attention.
I do always scan down to dealer promotions though. :)

The best way to advertise, is to mention product names etc within threads.

Anyone looking for a particular brand or model, generally searches via say Google, and that is when the companies product will be highlighted.

That was how I first found this forum. I typed in Kalkoff and this forum was at the top.

Perhaps one solution to help push sales, is to encourage more buyers to review the products. Type in BH Xtrem for example, and this forum is currently fourth from the top.

Last edited:

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
What's the difference between advertising and marketing?
I know of purchases I have made, sometimes years after I have seen an add, it stayed with me.

It is thought that when stars are not on TV, people will think they have died. Keeping a presence in the market place will stop a decline unless you are something very special. Few are.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
We have in a way, an interest in generating a reasonable number of sales leads for the advertisers.
The main sub forum for this is 'which bike should I buy' and Frank's posts used to attract a few hostile comments.
Perhaps collectively we are to blame for his leaving.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Frank has responded to my email and it transpires Frank's absence is connected with personal reasons unconnected to the forum. Subject to his permission which I'm now awaiting I'll update here.

Reactions: trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
When someone posted a video about 50mph bike, one million people watched it. Although it's not for me, I accept that Frank may have a point.
thank you for keeping us posted.

Reactions: LeighPing and flecc