Batteries - (more amperage)

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
My particular bike, (Salisbury LPX), has a 24 volt motor yet comes with a battery that states in huge lettering that it is 26 volts, (10.5amps).

- I remember on a thread started by forum member Sophie'sDad, that he measured the output of the Salisbury's battery as giving out 27 volts. First question; does anyone know how high a voltage the Salisbury controller can take without damage?

Second question, if I was to fit a non-original, 24volt battery of 20 amps, would the fact that it is kicking out 3 volts less, be noticeable in the bike's performance?

I'm asking because rather than buy a second standard battery to increase the bike's potential for when touring, I've been intrigued by eBay sales of the 24volt 20 amp LifePO4 batteries. There's one on eBay at the moment, (8 hours to go before closure and only at £65 so far with few bids, will post what it finally goes for).

For £200 I can get an additional original battery of 26 volt and 10.5 amps, (but in reality, a pleasing 27 volts).

- But what if I could get 24volt/20 amps battery off eBay for a similar price? Is it worth considering, or is all that shines not gold?

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The lithium cells in bike batteries are mostly nominally 3.7 volt, 7 cells used in nominal 24 volt batteries and 10 cells in nominal 36 volt batteries. You can see that equates to 25.9 volts and 37 volts respectively, hence the declared 26 volts in your case. Like all rechargeable cells, the fully charged voltage is much higher, but it declines as the content is used and also temporarily when under high drain loads.

Using a 24 volt 20 Ah battery theoretically will result in a proportional loss of speed, i.e. by the lower voltage amount, nominally 7.7%, equal to about 1 mph on the Salisbury. However, if the much larger capacity enhances the current delivery as it should, in practical conditions the loss will not be quite as much and the additional capacity could actually improve the hill climbing by a very small degree.

And of course the range will be greatly increased.

I'm not an ebay fan, so refrain from advising buying on there.