battery and controller in a rucksack?

Ash77

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 18, 2015
ipswich
Hi guys.

Just bought a rear hub conversion kit to fit my bike.

With my bike there is no option to fit the battery and controller to my frame so I'm thinking can I wire it up to fit in my rucksack? I'm no stranger to a soldering iron but i have no idea what plugs etc to get to make it happen. was wondering if any of you guys
Have done this modification on any of your bikes?

It would be great just to have both power and controller wires wired into one plug. And connect just below the seat post.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Thanks

Ash

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Battery is doable, but controller too, probably not a good idea, safe or particularly easy!

Any chance of posting a piccy of your bike?

Ash77

Jul 18, 2015
ipswich
20150716_131839.jpg The controller can go under my seat post I spose.

I bought this second hand bike last week In the hope maybe to convert but I would much rather convert my spesialized.

Last edited:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I've done it. Controller on bike, battery in a small rucksack.

Anderson powerpole connector at about crutch level, cable fixed to rucksack straps, up and over the shoulder and down the front

The Anderson will disconnect if you have a spill, or forget to disconnect.

There is a risk that you could crash and damage battery. Maybe even go a little bit on fire. Just be aware.

Ash77

Jul 18, 2015
ipswich

Anderson powerpole connector at about crutch level, cable fixed to rucksack straps, up and over the shoulder and down the front

There is a risk that you could crash and damage battery. Maybe even go a little bit on fire. Just be aware.
Lol That's ok I'm used to fire.
Well if it's to much of a faff ill just do that. Thanks for you help.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Lol That's ok I'm used to fire.
Well if it's to much of a faff ill just do that. Thanks for you help.
Mike is right about just having the battery in a back pack. At least you'll have only the one connector to disengage if you have a tumble or forget to disconnect before dismounting.

The controller would need multiple connectors to disengage which is just too risky :eek:

Wow, all these dis words :p

Ash77

Jul 18, 2015
ipswich
Lol. I just think it will he alot more pleasing on the eye. Just being a tart I suppose . :) main reason why I'm buying the kit is so I can get a quicker response time to the fire station.
They dissided to build us a new one in the worst possable place for us retained to get to and 2 miles fearther away from my house.
Nightmare for me at rush hour times to get in. Be sitting in traffic for ages. Its a joke. Thought the bike will be the better option. Atleast I won't be totally knacked when I jump on the pump.

Reactions: Alan Quay

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014

as an aside is an anderson connector best for this - frequent quick connecting and disconnecting of 45 amp 36v batteries? or is there something better? many thanks for help

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
as an aside is an anderson connector best for this - frequent quick connecting and disconnecting of 45 amp 36v batteries? or is there something better? many thanks for help
45 amp? What battery are you using?

Other options are available, but I have never had one fail. I must have used more than 100.

I don't just use them on bikes. I've used them in all kinds of equipment: Drills, Radios, Test equipment, Marine electronics and more.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
45 amp? What battery are you using?

Other options are available, but I have never had one fail. I must have used more than 100.

I don't just use them on bikes. I've used them in all kinds of equipment: Drills, Radios, Test equipment, Marine electronics and more.
hobby king lipos (16Ah 22.2V to make 12S), but not in a rucksack (not that brave), but frequent charging and unplugging and the XT90 connectors are getting really dodgy and just not worth the risk), many thanks for advice - i gather they're good from what you say - but saw cheap ones on ebay only rated for 45 amps max - are they OK for transferring around 3KW and being frequently plugged/unplugged?

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
They are rated up to 45 amp (the 45a ones anyway!).

I have never used them above 30 amps, so I can't really comment.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
My Cannondale

You could use an Additive bag on the Specialized but they are £100+ delivered.