Help! Battery and motor compatibility

Pete

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2009
Hi there, yet another simple question, for you, but not me!
Can I run my 36V 500W BBS02 from a 48 Volt battery, or will it just fry something?
By battery is getting a bit old and I have been offered a nearly new one from a friend, very cheaply.
Thanks
Peter

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Can I run my 36V 500W BBS02 from a 48 Volt battery, or will it just fry something?
By battery is getting a bit old and I have been offered a nearly new one from a friend, very cheaply.
Thanks
Peter
Will fry it, sorry

Reactions: Pete

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Thanks
Peter
Only the motor manufacturer will be able, but probably not willing, to answer your query.
Reducing the maximum current to get the maximum allowed wattage, or close to, will probably be OK. (Assuming you have a a controller that allows this)
So 500/48 = 10.41 amps, so setting it to a maximum of 10 amps should be OK....
But you must take responsibility if anything untoward happens!
Theoretically, with proper knowledge, some cells could possibly be rewired to get the correct voltage, but remember, Li-ion batteries are very dangerous and almost impossible to quench if the catch fire.....
A lot of safety knowledge is needed, and somewhere outside to do the work!!
Andy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks
Peter
You will as Kirstin has said blow the inlet Cap instantly, the 36v controller has only 50v rated Caps and not 63v of the 48v ones.