Battery cover removal

Martyn Dee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 25, 2019
Hi , can anybody tell me how to remove the battery cover on my Powabyke shopper please ?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's a while since I've done one of those, so my memory might not be correct, but you'll see whether i'm right. take the battery out of the frame. On the under-side, you'll see the screws that hold the two halves of the case together. Take all the screws out and pull the two halves apart. Inside, you'll see three SLA batteries. The last one I did had all the wires soldered to the battery terminals. If your one has spade connectors, it's probably better to cut them off and solder the wires.

Once you have the case open, take photos so that you can see exactly which wire goes to which location and how they're routed around the case. It's a very tight squeeze to get everything back in the right place. The photos will help a lot.

The replacement batteries should cost about £25 each. You might want to think about converting it to lithium, which will cost about £250 and give you triple the range, double the life and less than half the weight. All you need to do is chuck the three batteries in there and insert a 36v lithium cell-pack that will fit in the case, then join the two power wires and the charging wire. Aim for one that can deliver 25 ammps. If you can't do it yourself, www.ebikebatteries.co.uk can do it for you. They offer a postal service. Phone 020 8361 1790.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome
You now have a nice little project