Battery cutting out

CaroleR

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 18, 2020
Hi there I have had an ebike for4 years my battery suddenly started cutting out when it was fully charged, so i bought a new battety and this is doing the exact same thing, my husband has an ebike as well so he tried the new battery on his bike and it is doing the same just cutting out can anyone help

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Did the new battery come with a new charger, or are you using the charger from the old battery?

CaroleR

Apr 18, 2020
Using the charger from the old battery we have 2 chargers as my husband has
Try charging your new battery with your husband's charger.
When it does cut out I can take the battery off, reload it and it goes again for a short while but its odd it is now happening with thd new battery. Could the bike be doing sonething to the battery ? I will try the charge with my husbands charger though and get back to you thanks

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
When it does cut out I can take the battery off, reload it and it goes again for a short while but its odd it is now happening with thd new battery. Could the bike be doing sonething to the battery ? I will try the charge with my husbands charger though and get back to you thanks
You said it's doing the same thing on your husband's bike, so it's probably battery related. Batteries usually have some kind of output protection, which should protect it from overload/short circuit, so I'm not convinced your bike has damaged the battery. A fuse usually pops, or the BMS cuts the power.

My theory is that your old charger isn't charging properly. Give it a good charge with your husband's charger. If you still have the same problem, then we'll go from there ;)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What type of battery or bike ?

CaroleR

Apr 18, 2020
You said it's doing the same thing on your husband's bike, so it's probably battery related. Batteries usually have some kind of output protection, which should protect it from overload/short circuit, so I'm not convinced your bike has damaged the battery. A fuse usually pops, or the BMS cuts the power.

My theory is that your old charger isn't charging properly. Give it a good charge with your husband's charger. If you still have the same problem, then we'll go from there ;)
Hi there
We tried charging with my husbands charger but didnt help. My husband read somewhere to leave it charging for 3 days, do you think its worth trying ?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
No, If it's showing the same symptoms after a good charge, then It's not a charger issue.

I'm out of ideas, but I'm sure someone will be along soon to offer suggestions.

Reactions: CaroleR

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi there
We tried charging with my husbands charger but didnt help. My husband read somewhere to leave it charging for 3 days, do you think its worth trying ?
It really does sound like a defective battery. Usually bike batteries are fully charged in 6 hours or less, leaving it even longer just accelerates the damage further....Though I think that it is beyong help anyway...
Regards
Andy
PS. Learn how to look after bike batteries so that you get the best life out of them, they are expensive to replace! IMHO you should get 6 years or better from a battery....

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Double check and measure the chargers voltage on the charge connector, it should read 42v when plugged in to the mains.
Also measure the voltage of he battery at the discharge connector, tell us what it is should ideally be 41.5v - 42v.

Last edited:

CaroleR

Apr 18, 2020
It really does sound like a defective battery. Usually bike batteries are fully charged in 6 hours or less, leaving it even longer just accelerates the damage further....Though I think that it is beyong help anyway...
Regards
Andy
PS. Learn how to look after bike batteries so that you get the best life out of them, they are expensive to replace! IMHO you should get 6 years or better from a battery....
Thanks Andy
I did purchase a new one and the new one has done the same thing on my bike and my husbands bike so im eondeting if the new one is defective as well?

CaroleR

Apr 18, 2020
No, If it's showing the same symptoms after a good charge, then It's not a charger issue.

I'm out of ideas, but I'm sure someone will be along soon to offer suggestions.
Thanks for your suggestions
Carole

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Thanks Andy
I did purchase a new one and the new one has done the same thing on my bike and my husbands bike so im eondeting if the new one is defective as well?
Some e-bikes have a way of resetting them, try that and see if that helps.
I believe that it could be possible that the old defective battery has given both bikes the same error.
Its certainly very strange..
Andy

Reactions: CaroleR

CaroleR

Apr 18, 2020
It maybe the case that the connections inside your charger plug do not match the ones on your new battery socket. You will need a meter to check this.
Thanks my husband is getting a meter from his brother to check this